Lyretail Anthias

mine would take anything as long as it was moving in the water current.

My big male showed a marked preference for 'rosy reds' (a freshwater feeder fish).

Eventually, pretty much everything. Starting with finely minced meats like mysis, shrimp, scallop etc works well, especially when blown out of my vortech.

My beastly male can swallow surprisingly large foods at this point:
Malelyretail5-17-08.jpg

I saw my male yawn and thought, "Yikes!! That's a gaping maw! Maybe plankton is not the best food!"

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Wow! That is a gorgeous lyretail. Mine is still more pinkish than red, but I think it's because he is only 2 1/2" or so. I'm hoping that since he has full male coloration so small that it will only get more intense as he grows.

I feed a homemade frozen food mix. My lyretails eat it enthusiastically. I occasionally will give an extra feeding of marine flake and they will eat it with a lot of catching and releasing before they actually swallow it.
When I first got them they prefered plankton(largest particle) mysis(med) or spirulina enriched brineshrimp(smallest). The problem I had with the frozen whole foods was that they never seemed to like the same size 2 days in a row so it was a constant guessing game if they would eat what I was putting in the tank, so I made a concerted effort to get them to accept the frozen mix.

My pair:
100_2402.jpg

I started with two females. I started with live brine for the first couple days, then started mixing frozen brine/mysis. By the second week I was able to feed all frozen brine/mysis. A believe it took about a month and they started eatting the Hykiri S Pellets and Flakes (Prime Reef & Forumla 1). Now, after 1-1/2 years, they basically will eat anything I put in.

The single male I used to have was a little more fussy. It took me 2 - 3 weeks to wean him off the live stuff and he didn't touch flakes until about 6 months. But then he eventually started to eat everything. HTH

When I first got mine they wouldn't eat. They would mouth the food and spit it out. I tries feeding them all the good stuff (mysis, mini-mysis, marine cuisine, rod's food, H20 life frozen) and they wouldn't eat. I tossed some spectrum pellets in a few days later and they ate them like they were little fish skittles. After they ate that for awhile they strating eating everything.

So I don't know if they actually liked the pellets more or it just took them a few days to eat.

Well, I had mixed results this AM. I saw a lot of "spitting" as a response to the mysis. I saw a bit of interest in the flake. The male tried some of the Nori, tasting, spitting, chasing, tasting again. I am off to the LFS for some more variety.

Pictures:

Just the Male:

MaleLyretail.jpg

Male with the smallest female:

MaleFemale.jpg

The Harem, male and three females:

Harem.jpg

Grab some raw shrimp and a scallop from the grocery store. FINELY mince it. I guarantee that should work :)

Back