Lyrtailed Anthais

mscarpena

I just bought a Lyrtailed Anthais the most beuatiful one I have ever seen. Purple not red. It is amazing. I am wondering if I should risk putting in a QT tank. I have a 12 gallon eclipse that I put it in for now. I tried to feed it and it is very shy. Everythime I come near the tank he hides. I think he has picked at some food, but it is not aggressivly feeding. I am not to worried because I just bought him this afternoon. He looks good, fat, and healthy. I just really want to have success with this guy. I have a 75 gallon with about 110 LBS of good healthy rock with lots of little "bugs" for him to eat. Also have a healthy refugium. I have all very freindly fish. My most aggressive fish is a perc clown. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Anthias typically do not pic at the rocks, so the "bugs" (pods), if not in the water column probably will not be a food source. Anthias eat from the water column. Try feeding it freeze dried cyclopeze.

Mysis shrimp might work as well. Anthias are a fairly shy fish until they fully acclimate. Some people have even gotten them to eat flakes.

Have you gotten a pic of the little guy yet?

I have 12 Anthias so far, 9 Ignitus, 3 Bartletts, and they eat flakes, pellets, cyclopeze, mysis, angel formula frozen, formula 1 frozen...so far...

Wow thanks for the help. I have tried bloodworms and mysid, but like I said I just picked him up today and he just got into the shop a day or two ago. I will post a pic when he is a little more comfortable. So should I QT him or not?? I will try cyclpoezee or frozen copepods tomorrow.

I tried frozen cyclopeze and again it appears he is eating it, but just not very aggressively. I know you are supposed to feed them a few times per day at low amounts, is this because they eat small amounts at a time and just pick at a few things here and there. I am just thinking maybe this is normal. Also he is out and swimming actively, but just very shy when I walk up. Anyways this is a picture off a web site, but mine looks similar. Mine I would say is a better color though. Everyone at the LFS was in love with this fish. I am too. I will try frozen copepods later tonight.

Good news. He is eating better this afternoon. He eat a few large peices of mysid shrimp. One last question can he change into a she. I know a she can change into a he, but if I only have one male can he cahnge into a female. Thanks for all your guys help.

Back