Lyscer's 10Gal build

I didn't paint the background because of the way I made this tank.
I did get the same exact bulbs that you did.. And now that I have taken pictures of it. It does seem like there is the same amount of brightness in there..

Also, I do realize that the 2nd bulb in my tank is more directed to my overflow area, which I didn't think about for some reason, so it looks like I'm going to have to make a canopy for it to direct both bulbs in the "Viewing area".

But any other suggestions or anything like that would be gratefully appreciated.

White is a decent reflector so painting it white would increase the light going into the tank somewhat.

Are the corals thriving with that light setup? I'm going to try this myself but not as elaborate(no sump if I can get by without). I had a 29 with 3 Normal output reef flourescents on it and I had softies growing like crazy til I sold the tank.

Last edited:
I dont think most of our ladys like the idea of our tanks and the money they just keep it on the down low it gives them a reason for more chick stuff

Bonsai7255: The corals seem like they are doing great. They actually came from a tank that was lit by "natural ambient light". They were in a tank that sat in front of a window, and had no lights, so I am sure that the small amount of lighting I have it helping them out.

reeflord: I love how it is just the right height for your kids! Looks good.

Thanks,I'm going to start mine up soon. I have a 10 gallon coming today and I think it already has the incandescent hood on it. How many lbs. live rock do you have in yours? I'll try and remember to get pics as I go.

It has 15-20lbs of live rock in the display. I am planning on adding some more to the sump/fuge area in the near future (once I can stop fixing other things that are breaking - cars, furnace, etc.. :) )

Wow. I wasn't out of my mind when I thought about a making a 10g with a sump. Except I'm think about making my 10g and getting it drilled. Might be over the top for a 10g.

Yours is looking nice though. Would probably be easier to use a sump and return like yours.

I contemplated drilling my tank, but the thin glass on the 10 gallons scared me away from drilling. I didn't want to have to deal with a cracked tank because of me bumping the plumbing or something silly like that.

I ended up with a 5 gallon for now. Going to get more rock and sand today. Going for a SSB. See how that goes and maybe move up to a 10. Don't want to go to big right now to keep costs down a little. My 75 almost broke me. I was lucky to get about 75% of what I had in it.

I would never consider drilling a 10g. But, if I'm making it from scratch, I might as well. I wonder if I could get starphire at such a small size.

I'll be following this along. Hopefully you can figure out something for a fuge, I think it would do well.

If you are making it from scratch, then drilling it would probably be a good idea. I am a fan of drilled tanks though, so I may be a little bias in my opinion :).

I contemplated drilling my tank, but the thin glass on the 10 gallons scared me away from drilling. I didn't want to have to deal with a cracked tank because of me bumping the plumbing or something silly like that.

Consider an acrylic ten gallon tank. I've talked a couple of guys into an acrylic nano. Acrylic tanks are stronger and clearer than glass. And after drilling glass and acrylic, you'll never go back to drilling glass. Checkout glasscages.com

I will be picking up a few things on Tuesday and will be piecing the fuge together, so I should post something tues/wed

I have had a crazy week and haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet. I found a small container that fits in my sump, so I filled it with 3" of sand and placed that in the sump. I did this so that I can move it around if I feel the need to. I am still looking for some live rock to put around the container. I added a shop light with a 75watt bulb that is on a reverse photoperiod from the display. I noticed that I have a ton of copepods on the glass (and even a few flat worms, which must die!)

Once I get some rocks I will post some pictures

Here is a Top View:
photo.jpg

And a side view:
photo-1.jpg

So you did add a sump?

Yes I did. If you look on page 1 near the bottom I have a picture of the entire setup (display+sump). I haven't had a chance to buy extra rock yet, so things pretty much look the same. Except for the itty bitty sun coral I put in there. I have been waiting to post pictures of it because it was fairly sick when I got it. I think it is almost back to 100% again though. I have been pulling it out every other night and putting it in a small container with a bunch of brine shrimp so it has no choice but to eat.

Back