Lyscer's 10Gal build

it is coming along slowly but surely. I wanted to wait and post an update until after I added rock to the sump. I picked some up yesterday so here is my update.

I think that the sump/refugium is pretty much finished. I just need to arrange the rock to make it look a little cleaner because right now it just looks really messy. I also added a couple of corals.

This was taken with the camera flash since the lights were out
front-2-27-2010.jpg

Wall Hammer
euphylliaAnchora2-27-2010.jpg

Here is a picture of the refugium looking ugly because I haven't had time to rearrange the rock
sump-2-27-2010.jpg

Another shot of the refugium. I love the skimmer, it has been pulling lots of skimmate
sump2-2-27-2010.jpg

Bonsai7255, I don't have any real news to share. I have been battling a red algae, which I believe to be cyano, and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I finally got sick of the flat worms and used Flatworm Exit 2 weeks ago. I have performed 2 treatments and there seems to be 1 flatworm (that I can see), that wont seem to die so I will let it be for now. If there start to be a bunch on the corals then I will treat the tank again.

Any idea on what to try to get rid of cyano? Here is what I have currently tried.

- Reduced photoperiod
- Reduced Feeding
- Weekly .05% water changes
- Carbon changed out every 3 weeks
- Skimming
- increased flow in display (however cyano is now in the sump/refugium)

Only thing I can think of is to treat with a chemical, which I would rather find a biological solution than a chemical solution. I am going to try and pick up some cheatomorpha macroalgae and see if it can suck nutrients out of the water better than the grape calurpa.

I had to put a small amount of chemiclean in mine to get rid of it. Then I started getting HA. Figured out I had a hitchiker sponge dying and was loading my little 5.5 gallon with nutrients,took out the rock and scrubbed off the dead sponge and the HA has stopped growing and looks to be getting less.

see i had an old hood like that i tried doing the samething couple months back and i only had the 10 watt bulbs.. 2 of them ... and it started smoking like crazyyyy one day smelt bbaddd .. so i dont wanna use it now i would rather use the 20 watts .. maybe the walmart new ones are better designed how much are they there? and what kinda paint did you use?

Right now my lights are on from like 1pm-9pm. I used some $.97 white paint from walmart to paint the hood, so nothing special on the paint side.

Bonsai, I was looking at my tank the other day and noticed that a hitch hiker sponge has been slowly dyeing so I think I may be experiencing the same thing you ran into. When I do my weekly cleaning on Sunday I will remove the sponge and hopefully that will start to fix things. Great advice I am glad you mentioned it because I wouldn't have thought anything about the dyeing sponge.

Hope it helps your tank. Mine is doing better since I removed the sponge but still working on it. The HA looks to be going away slowly instead of growing so that's a plus for sure.

Did you build the overflow in your tank or did you buy it?

Can you give me some specs and advice on building and cutting the overflow please? I'm getting ready to build my AIO 10 gallon. Been running my 5 gallon for a few months and I think I want to go AIO for my next one. Not sure if I want to build an overflow like yours or maybe a false back with chambers.

I just used a normal table saw to cut my plexiglass pieces. It resulted in the edges chipping out in some places, but I wasn't too worried about it. If you want to spend the money you can get a plexiglass saw blade that is suppose to do a better job. I just siliconed my overflow in and siliconed it together. If I were to do it again I would use a plexiglass adhesive to bond the two plexiglass pieces together in the 1 corner where they are bonded. Reason being that when too much water pressure is in the overflow the silicone wont hold together and will pull apart (which again I didn't mind because my rocks hold it together and I am mainly just trying to get a good surface skim).

Bonsai, can you give me some advice on how to treat with chemiclean? I decided that with how badly the cyano has embedded itself into the rocks that I would be better off to just treat it with chemiclean.

I don't run carbon but as far as I know you can leave all normal filtration in place. I only treated my tank one time but I believe you might need to do it two times if your Cyano is that bad. I just went by the directions on the package and it worked pretty good. Right now I'm battling HA. Don't understand why. I have a yellow clown goby,Pepshrimp and 2 blue legs and only feed a very small amount one time a week.

Back