Lyscer's 10Gal build

I thought I would post an update since it has been a while since I have posted one. I have noticed that the growth of corals is almost non-existent in the tank. So I would say that better lighting is probably preferred. These lights will sustain life, but don't necessarily promote it.

full.jpg

blasto.jpg

suncoral.jpg

zoos_orange.jpg

They haven't which is really dissapointing. I think is has to do with the fact that they are hosting on the side of the tank. I have thought about putting a tile or piece of clay pot in with them, but know if they start breeding that I will need to invest more money to attempt to raise the babies (mainly because that would be a new adventure).

Nice to see an update. Your tank is one of the builds that I used some ideas from for my 10g build. I decided to not go with those light, but used a pair of 26w 6700k spiral cfl's. I also just picked up a 10w t5 actinic to add some color.

They haven't which is really dissapointing. I think is has to do with the fact that they are hosting on the side of the tank. I have thought about putting a tile or piece of clay pot in with them, but know if they start breeding that I will need to invest more money to attempt to raise the babies (mainly because that would be a new adventure).
That's the conclusion I came to about having to raise the babies as far as having a pair versus having just a single clown. It would be a lot of fun raising babies but also very tedious in growing their food for the larvae and each juvenile stage.

Just added some new lights to the tank. I also added a screen top that my brother-in-law and myself built which was much simpler than anticipated. I purchased a custom screen kit from Lowes ($8) which included the frame, corners and the rubber stuff that holds the screen in, and then I found some clear 1/4" netting from a local reefer. My clown fish have tried to jump ship a few times which is why I added the screen top, and I think it looks pretty cool.

I am hoping that the new lights will allow me to start getting some growth now. One thing is for sure, I love the new look it has given everything and I am going to start tossing some SPS in there. Once an SPS junkie, always an SPS junkie.

TankWithNewLights.jpg

So what kind of light is that? Looks like a MH. Just wondering, i have a 10g fowlr with a single bulb t8 that I would like to add coral too. Not sure if I want to add a MH or a DIY LED. I just know I cant add any corals till I upgrade the light. Any 1 have any suggestions?

So what kind of light is that? Looks like a MH. Just wondering, i have a 10g fowlr with a single bulb t8 that I would like to add coral too. Not sure if I want to add a MH or a DIY LED. I just know I cant add any corals till I upgrade the light. Any 1 have any suggestions?

It looks like a JBJ Viper.

It is the jbj 150w clip on viper. Hellolights is having a sale on them this month and I couldn't pass up the deal. $115 shipped to my door!

It is the jbj 150w clip on viper. Hellolights is having a sale on them this month and I couldn't pass up the deal. $115 shipped to my door!

How do you like it? I'm thinking about getting the same one or the 150w Viper Deluxe for my 10g build.

I just put it on 2 days ago. I love the look it gives and I don't know if the light is just high enough off the water but the temp of the tank has not been effected by the heat output of the halide. I am sad I didn't do it sooner. I think it cleaned the look of the tank up and now I can start adding some corals that I have been eyeing for months.

$115 shipped does sound like a good deal. Cheaper then LED. I like the look of LED's but MH has long term proof of usability for SPS. Can't stand having to make decisions. I might just flip a coin and let the wife call it.

Any how nice tank. keep the pics coming. I like watching tanks progress.

Back