Macro ID

dwdenny

Not sure what this is. I admit I have not done a look of research on it but thought I would post and see if some one could Id. Not the best pic.

It is fleshy felling like the skin of a peach and it doesn't break easy at all. It is more of a maroon purple then the picture shows.

IMG_0050.jpg

Last edited:
Its looks like a red bubble algae, possibly a member of the Botryocladia family. In some tanks it does spread and become a nuisance.

That is the closest I have found in color but it does not have bubbles at all(at least not yet). Very flat (and thin like a leaf) unless it starts out this way then fills. I have battled green bubble algae(so far so good) and this is totally different. Time will tell if it starts to bubble up then I will remove it. Sense this is a nano I cannot get a tank or something like that to eat it. Thanks for the help.

That throws a bit of a wrench into the id. I'll have to let someone with more experience step up. There are alot of reds many of which look very similar to one another.

They're flat? Or just that the bubbles are flattened at the top? I can see that in some of the bubbles towards the bottom right of the above photo. I'd still call this a kind of red bubble algae, and Botryocladia is a start. There are several genera that contain algae with this kind of shape and appearance.

If they're totally flat that's different direction. Let us know. :)

>Sarah

Sorry those are zoanthid polyps plus the pic was taken out of water so I could get a good close shot of it. Here is what I found that it looks more like but not sure if this is it or not Porphyra leucosticta

Last edited:
Ohhhh... heheheheh. I should have known they were contracted polyps, now I feel silly.

Porphyra isnt a bad guess for genus, other guesses could be Acrosorium.

>Sarah

Back