Macroaglae (I think) ID please

Forestal

Premium Member
Hello everyone. I think this yellow growth on my live rock is macroalgae. I've been searching through the threads, but cant' find it anywhere. Could someone helP?
I'm new here and this is still a cycling tank, just wanna try and identify all that I have:)
It is sending out growths like spikes with red tips/flowers.
sorry for poor quality pic
41973yellowalgae.jpg

thanks

Thanks Scott, i tried getting a better pic. almost looks like the "sponge" is sending out growths with a central spike of red, is this two animals/algae or same. anyone know.
thanks
41973yellowsponge.jpg

In that second pic it looks like the sponge has red 'valonia' or red feather-dusters growing through it. Very cool growth-war. :D Sponges are fairly easygoing in most cases, allowing many things to grow through them as they grow around the base of the creature or plant.

As long as the water stays clean, but not too clean, you should have good luck keeping the sponge. Feeding phyto will help as well.

I haven't had good luck with finding hitchhiker sponges on LR this time around... at least not without having to pay for said sponge. ;) The only really good example of this I have in my tank is a blue-sponge encrusting over/around some sun-polyps.

Cool thanks for the info.
On the same rock is also a regular sponge (typical tank color porous) dont know name, but it is also growing, despite getting exposed to air.

Back