Macro's to choose and avoid???

Decoy

I didn't realize there was a specialty forum for Macros so below is a link to my original post rather than re-typing everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Original post

For my purposes, inside the tank, I like algaes that are attractive and easy to harvest. I dislike algaes that spread easily by fragmentation, or that spread quickly across the rock by holdfasts. IMO, the ones that are especially bad are Caulerpas on the rock because they are hard to contain, and Bryopsis and other green algaes known as "hair" algaes because they spread so easily by fragmentation.

These are some algaes I currently cultivate on purpose in the main tank and consider "good": Sargassum (attached), Gracillaria, a rock-growing Halimeda, a sand-growing Halimeda, and Penincillus (shaving brush) in the sand. I've also kept Caulerpa in the sand but it had to be tended very frequently to keep it from spreading to the rock so I eventually got rid of it. In a refugia I'm keeping Chaetomorpha, Gracillaria, free-floating Sargassum, and a little Caulerpa. All of these get harvested on a regular basis.

I have many other algaes that have shown up incidentally by bringing in live rock. Most of these are attractive and spread slowly or don't make a problem of themselves. A current "problem" algae is a short, soft, hair algae which spreads readily by fragmentation.

I have halimeda rubberbanded to a rubble rock in my main display on the sandbed...how do I know if I have rock growing or sand growing halimeda.

BTW, I had to move it out in the middle of the sandbed cause when I first got it, it started attaching to some of my large LR pieces. (rock growing then maybe?)

Back