matthewscars

i tested my tank tonight:

alk 9.4
cal 380
mag 1875

sal 1026
n03 5~
phos 0

I bought an auto doser a months or two ago and have it hooked up to dose the Kent CB 2 part. Before the auto doser I didnt have this issue.

Any ideas on how mag can get so high? And i honestly dont think its a bad test kit. when i tested mag last week it was 1300.

ideas of a course of attack besides manually dosing for awhile?

What test are you using? The Kent 2 part I gather is a alk and calcium supplement. Try and get a independent mag reading to confirm.

Test the Mag level on a fresh batch of RO/DI water and your salt mixed to 35 psu, then compare the reading to what is listed on the salt mix sticky at the top of this forum. Double check that the TDS of your RO/DI is 0.

Although I do not have any first hand experience Mg levels that high, from the research i have done magnesium levels of 1800 should not have any harmful effects on corals / fish. Some have reported losing snails.

Raising magnesium to 1600-2000 using Kent Magneiusm has been reccommended to combat byrosis.

If all your livestock is happy, I would not worry to much about it, just observe closely.

If any animals look to be having trouble, some water changes should help. Otherwise, I agree with the wait-and-see approach. Magnesium shouldn't be that high unless a lot of it has been dosed, so I'm not sure I believe the test result. The Tech CB shouldn't be able to raise magnesium that much.

from what i`ve read on here it would take a very large amount of a mag source to get levels that high. i agree that the kent 2 part should not be able to increase it that much. even if you used 1/2gallon at a time.

using reef calculator on 100 gallons of water it showed to take over 50 oz`s of mag flake or 59 of epsom salt to raise from 1400`s to 1850 level. so close to a gallon of each to get that high. if i used it right

Back