MAG 36. Are they all this noisy?

jeasley

Premium Member
I just upgraded my sump size and bought a mag 36 to push more flow. This thing is in a closet and is so loud it is making me nuts. Do i have a bad one or is this just a bas choice for me?

I have it setup to go through a 3/4 " vinyl tubing to my return. I fgure about 8-10 feet of head with all the distance and such. i am using it submerged and the water surface is rippling from the vibrations. I also have it sitting on a couple of sponges to take the vibration down a bit. If I grab the hose coming off of the pump, it is vibrating like mad.

Help!

increase the size of your tubing. You should at least use 1", but preferably 1.5". Big vibrations mean that you're pushing too much head with it.

Could I simply swap out the tubing to the bulkhead under the overflow? IT would be restricted to 3/4" at that point but it would limit the lengeth it has to travel at 3/4"

I swapped it out for something that had a 3/4" outlet.

If you have a 3/4" line, you're using the wrong pump here. Even putting a max 36 through a bulkhead like that, you're probably losing 1000gph.

You should be using 2" tubing (2x outlet size) on a Mag36. You have the equivalent of a cork in the pump right now, and are only getting a small fraction of the flow from it.

Why such a huge return pump?

Last edited:
The pump has a 1" outlet so I am looking to swap the bulkhead out to a 1" since it looks like the bulkhead hole size is the same.
I had wondered when I did it if I was going to have troubles.

As for the size of the pump, I have a 210 plus a 125 sump. I want to do good turnover in addition I have a closed loop running a reeflo dart.

IMO, that pump is WAY overkill. Generally 3 -5x display size for a return pump. That is ~ 600 - 1000 GPH. Even with 1" plumbing, the Mag36 will be severely restricted in flow anyway.

Jon, I had a simular problem with my Mag 36. most of the noise was from vibration. I ended up attaching 1/2" vinyl tubing to the underside of the pump to avoid the vibration. Mag does recommend 2x the outlet size for the plumbing. No one seems to do this and I suspect that may also be a problem causing noise. If running the pump unrestricted in a bucket, you will notice it is not that loud.

Thank you Greg. Good advice. Now I just ned to figure out what to do. I really do not want to replumb the return. Can't drill a bigger hole in the overflow.

I have a Mag36 to mix water and it is noisy as hell. This is with no piping or tubes attached.

--JeffP

Back