mag 9.5 ok on a 55g

FullPull

Im setting up a 55g using a herbie style overflow, do you guys think it would be wise to use a 9.5 instead of a 7 just for the added flow and maybe throttle it back. I was going to run either 1" or 3/4" pvc back split into 2 lines as a return with accelerators on the end

I use this pump on my 60 gallon with a ball valve on the return. It works great! These are steady, reliable pumps.

9.5 is pretty big for a 55 gallon tank. i use this pump on my 90 gallon system and its still over kill even when its T'd off to power two reactors. times your 55 gallon tank by 5 or 6 and that is the gph you are looking for. if you really want to use the mag 9.5 stick a ball valve on it and turn it way down to almost closed. if you want too you can t off into your return line and power other things like reactors UV ect. more flow is always good because then you have room to grow but if its too much flow your overflow box might not be able to keep up so your display will start to over flow and all your salt water will be on the floor.

You need to factor the following:

Gph flow you want going through your sump. I subscribe to the 4-5x turnover other prefer more (don't confuse this with DT circulation via power heads).

Type of overflow design and gph it can flow

Head height your return pump will need to serve.

I have a 120g DT with a 1" drain and run a Herbie full siphon drain design. I run a Mag 9.5 and could easily use a Mag 7 as my 9.5 is throttled down 25%. Discharge throttling (within reason) does NOT damage a centrifugal pump.. It simply uses less energy to move less fluid.

9.5 is to big for a 55. I would go with a pump that after head loss puts out 175 to 250 gph flow through your sump.

Thanks all for the responses...i have a mag 7 i had on it before i could almost run wide open through the single 3/4" return.....so i was worried about having enough flow after plumbing for my return splitting into dual 3/4" lines up over into the tank after going with the herbie style overflow

I also think the Mag 9.5 is usually too much flow, but if you're powering a few reactors and gating down the flow, then you should be fine. Plus, if you ever want to upgrade tanks, you can reuse the Mag 9.5. Personally, I'd consider an Eheim or Water Blaster pump (more energy efficient).

A mag 5 is big enough for that tank with a small head loss the 7 is still to much. Your sump is usless with to much flow and why throttle back a bigger pump it cost more to run it

Back