Mag 950 too much pump?

I have a 55 gallon display tank with a 30 gallon sump and an Eshopps overflow. My baffles are only 9 inches high, and I was wondering if this pump was over kill. Im also looking at the Triton 4?

If anyone has any input on pumps it would be appreciated.

Well after a few hours of reading reviews on the Rio plus 2500, the Eheim, the Mag Drive 950, and several others, I think the Mag Drive is the way to go. I'm torn between the Mag drive and the Rio Plus 2500, but I have read the Rio is noisy. Does anyone have anything to add?

What size overflow do you have and what is your head height? I have a very similar setup (65 display, 30 sump)

The E-shopps overflows seem over-rated as far as GPH. I have a 800 size and run a mag 9.5 with 4 feet of head height. I have to dial the pump back over 50% so the overflow can keep up. You may want to consider getting a Mag 7

I have a 65 reef ready with a 30 sump. I run a mag 9.5 and have ran a 7 as well. I run the 9.5 fully open but can dial it back if necessary. The 7 was enough pump but was noticeably louder than the 9.5. From what I have read it is more than just me that have noticed that the 7 is louder than the 9.5 even dialed back.

I don't have much to compare my 9.5 to noise wise except a RIO 14HF I ran before the 9.5. The 9.5 is definitely quieter than the rio. And at any rate both pumps were quieter than the overall noise made from my skimmer and drain line.

I'm either going to be downgrading to a Mag 7 or upgrading to a eshopps 1200 at some point. The mag 9.5 and 800 overflow just don't match up well.

I have a 65 dt with 20gal sump eshopps overflow and run the jebao 6000 on setting 2. Pump is silent with no heat added like the mag

Thanks Apex so you suggest the eshopps? (I am a big eshopps fan)

I haven't had any problems with mine. It's built well, works well, easy to setup and it has never lost siphon. Only complaint I have is like I said before the GPH ratings are not accurate.

Mag 7 is probably more than sufficient for a 55g. I had a 90g that I used a Mag 7 and it was more than adequate. Even at 10x flow would be 550g (too much IMO). I typically shoot for 5x flow which would be just 275 in your case. The overflow and return pump should reach equilibrium. Even for my 200g build I'm using a Waveline DC6000 rated at ~1500g and it will probably be dialed down. Water needs to flow (not rush) through the sump/fuge for skimmer etc. to be effective. Flow/currents in tank should come from powerhead(s), closed loop etc.

Mags are great pumps that IME last forever (I have 3 at 10+ years of age) but they are also the most power hungry and generate more heat.

Back