mag pump size for 75 gallon rr oceanic tank.

i have a 220 high and have a mag 18. will this be enough for my return? also i have a mag 5 i was thinking about putting in the tank and running pvc off it to get water circulation in the tank. would this be enough or could i flip them and use the 5 as a return( im only using 1 return) and the 18 in the tank?

I would use a 7 or 9.5 for the 75.

biecaka, for a tank that large I would start looking at other brands of pumps. A mag that large is going to draw a lot of extra power and heat the water quite a bit.

thanks lobster, thats what ive been hearing i just wanted to try to make it work with what i have. i guess i could try to sell the pumps

see, with a mag 12, and dual overflows, I dont have that problem I incrue more heat from the metal halides than the mag. plus that gives you other options, you could plumb a chiller into it, or a calcium reactor and hardly lose any flow except for the 3 foot of head.

I was saw a flow calculator, on here maybee, that would tell you how much you lose from 90 deg. elbows and such, and a mag12 was what it helped me decide on. I'll try to find it for you

thanks koyoteturtle, what i would like to do is run only one return then a closed loop. the mag 5 is probably not big enough to run the loop though so i was thinking of putting it in the tank and run pvc off it to get good water circulation. ideas??? :)

check out that head loss calculator.With the mag 5, If the closed loop is small enough, and you have tons of flow, a ball valve will help adjusting it. Every time I asked for ideas, people always said more flow is always better. with that mag 18? you will probably take up most of the room in that 10 gal. you could think about splitting the out-put from the 18 and have two returns, which you could the control with the ball valve, assuming the 18 will buck like a hoarse with a burr under its sadle. Just for curiousitys sake, why dont you wanna split the 18?

with that 5, and all the angles, you could still be pushing 393 gph, thats not ALL that bad. But more dow is better. I guess your not wanting to put any powerheads in the tank?

i doubt it!! it might work in the tank with pvc for directional water flow. not sur if it will be enough to only have that pump in the tank. should the mag 18 be enough for my return?

Back