Magnesium and bryopsis

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread
But as many of you know,Potassium is highly effective @ killing algae in ponds and has been used to also kill Montypora nudis, that is what i would guess is the main ingredient responsible for it.

Some people have also reported dipping rocks containing Bryopsis with potassium is highly effective.

Just a tought.

Kent tech m
Ingredients: Deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.

Any details on the dip used?

Of the potassium?
I have just been reading various treads and forum about bryopsis and how to eliminate it.

im going to have to go the magnesium way sine its growing on my overflow and it cannot be removed, what im scared of is that i will end killing all my snails that are in the hundreds and frequently spawning.

What every one should do is read read read before you start doing what you think is best ;)

Good luck . . .

I've been dosing Tech-M for a month plus, and though my Bryopsis colonies aren't as strong as they might be, they're not _gone_, either.

Oh, magnesium level? 2,400. Ought to be high enough . . .

There've been whispered rumours that Kent had changed their supplier, or their formulation, or something, and that the newer Tech-M isn't as effective against the weed as the original stuff. There've been claims floated that Brightwell's magnesium supplement is the same as original Kent. There've been theories floated that Kent's formulation goes back and forth between what works and what doesn't . . .

I'm going to keep dosing the Tech-M, but I'm also going to start using No3Po4x, as I've got quite a bit of plain old hair algae going on as well. Increase frequency of filter-sock and GAC/GFO change-outs. Whatever I can think of, or pick up on here on the forums to make the uglies go away and make room for corals and coralline.

Thanks for resurrecting this "zombi" thread, as it's an interesting read!

~Bruce

Guess il purchase Brightwell and try that one out.
Thanks for pointing this out,dont want to put my invertebrates through this if its ineffective.

I just tried the tech-m couple months ago. got up to 1975 ppm. I saw little effect on bryopsis. on the up side, it didn't effect any inverts. potassium did not change as I increased the tech-m.

I am also battling bryopsis. I am in the final stages I believe, and I tried Tech M. However I found all it did was get my mollusks drunk. This agitated the bryopsis issue as I no longer had any inverts processing the algae.

What I found helped was a two front attack of manual removal of the bryopsis, and aggressive removal of phosphates and nitrates via a variety of methods, Primarily Zeovit, and a Sulfur denitrator.

I've got my NO3 down to 5ppm, phos is about 0.04ppm. I feed like 8 cubes a day in my heavily stocked 230, so it's been a battle.

The tank is finally starting to look better after about 2 months of trying.

It's a real shame I lost my year old birdsnest colony to this plague.

$50 for the person who comes up with a magic potion that kills bryopsis easily.

I personally think teck m has changed their formula it use to take care of my bryopsis quickly, have been at 1800 2 months now with no effect.

Back