Magnesium Dosing?

i used to use the seachem mag and its pretty good stuff. i used the basic method plus 20% to slowly bring it up. i noticed if i brought it up too quick my corals freaked out and a few started some base up recession. the basic plus 20% allowed me to bring it up over the course of a couple weeks. hope that helps you a little too.

i used to use the seachem mag and its pretty good stuff.

The Seachem magnesium supplement is not ionically balanced, so I'd personally suggest avoiding it. You can accomplish the same with Epsom salt from the drug store. :)

Ok the first dose was yesterday and I brought it up to about 1000. Today will be the 2nd bringing it to around 1100. Randy what are some ill effects of the seachem being unionically balanced? Seachem is the only product im able to get right now but I ordered the tropic marin mag. and it will be here friday. Also could explain more on the epsom salt. Any special brand to buy?

did not know it was not ionically balanced..... thank you. time for a switch! im a little afraid of epsom salts however. are these processed by man soewhere and not from mother nature? how do we know its a pure product? i ask humbly. thank you.....

because of all the man handling during distillation/manufacture of vodka, sugar, vinegar i elected to try the brightwell bio fuel so please dont think ima odd one...i was concerned and refused to use these options after reading about awesome jelly like masses haning out in the bottom of our aquarium after months of dosing! way too funny i thought

time for a switch! im a little afraid of epsom salts however. are these processed by man soewhere and not from mother nature? how do we know its a pure product?

All magnesium supplements meet that description. You either have to have confidence in your supplier to check for you, or to rely on specifications. Epsom salt is not ideal since it is not ionically balanced either, but the USP label indicates a certain degree of quality control.

I discuss magnesium supplements (such as Epsom salt) in the above linked article.

Today will be the 2nd bringing it to around 1100. Randy what are some ill effects of the seachem being unionically balanced?

It adds too much sulfate relative to chloride, so it will raise the sulfate in the aquarium and lower chloride once you correct for salinity.

The potential bad effect of that is not really clear, but it isn't natural. I discuss it in the article above. :)

thank you much.

i read that article before but you know how it is...... reading for something specific and you tend to overlook 90% of the other info. im a see, show, do, person, reading is always so selective with me. i listen far better than i enjoy reading. lol!

Back