Magnesium level is low, why?

slickflick22

My tank is 18mths old with healthy corals and fish, it's Mag is 200, very low,also my cal and Alk is low, I dose all 3 per the instructions, have been 6 months but my levels are not increasing at all, I have approx 175 gallons. I do 20% water change every 3 weeks, nitrate is 0 and phos is 0.4 (low) I use a skimmer and Chemie pure, PH is perfect salt is 25 has anyone any idea as to why it won't raise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slickflick22

85fffc0eaefd509b6d6384b36f9a1e92.jpg

top shelf

What test kits do you use? What are your alk and calc levels? If your mag isn't right then alk and calc won't rise. First step I'd make sure your test kits are reading right then maybe up the dosage on your mag slowly till you get it to about 1300 then slowly raise the others till your calcium is around 420 and all is about 8.3-9.3. Keep in mind stability is key.

GoVols

Cobb Webb - 1989
My tank is 18mths old with healthy corals and fish, it's Mag is 200, very low,also my cal and Alk is low, I dose all 3 per the instructions, have been 6 months but my levels are not increasing at all, I have approx 175 gallons. I do 20% water change every 3 weeks, nitrate is 0 and phos is 0.4 (low) I use a skimmer and Chemie pure, PH is perfect salt is 25 has anyone any idea as to why it won't raise?

You cant dose just per a products directions. You can't blind dose. As your reef matures and corals grow they have a bigger dosage intake then when they where smaller.

My must use test kits and check the Big 3 calcium alk and mag.

Get good test kits like the Red Sea Pro kits.

Your mag needs to be about 3 x your cal or corals would be able to take in Cal and Alk.

This is where is keep my parameters.
Cal = 450
Alk ==8.5 dkh
Mag = 1400

Bring your #'s up slowly over several days. Read your products an don't got over the daily recommended dose.

Hope this helps.

GoVols

Cobb Webb - 1989
If you over dose at one time it will cause precipitation and your parameters will get lower instead of climbing.

Grimreaperz

I would test your newly mixed water as well to see what your parameters are with freshly mixed....that the only addition I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

A sea K

I dont know what products you are using but here is a reef calculator that will help on how much to dose to reach your required levels and it contains most of the common additives used. http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html
It will take a LOT of mag supplement to get where you need if your mag level is really 200 which I would tend to believe is a testing error or otherwise incoorect as 200 is very, very low.

toothybugs

Wait... you said "salt is 25" - is that as in 1.025 or 25ppt?

My chemistry professors used to dock us something terrible for dropping the units in a calculation or report, they're important. I'd like to see your test results on a batch of freshly mixed seawater too.

slickflick22

Thanks for the replies, I will list exactly as of today

Salt is 36 PPT
DKH 5.3
MEQ/L 1.9
MAG 380
Temp 78.5

I use Red Sea test kits and Red Sea Pro Salt
Seachem reef fusion 1&2
And BRS 2 part mag
I have everything going through a poly filter.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
There's something terribly wrong here. I've not used Red Sea tests---is there a way to read them upside down, or what?

slickflick22

I dont know what products you are using but here is a reef calculator that will help on how much to dose to reach your required levels and it contains most of the common additives used. http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html
It will take a LOT of mag supplement to get where you need if your mag level is really 200 which I would tend to believe is a testing error or otherwise incoorect as 200 is very, very low.

Thanks

thelawnwrangler

There's something terribly wrong here. I've not used Red Sea tests---is there a way to read them upside down, or what?

its titration test (sp?)

starts our red or blue and you drop until it turns the other color.

380 isn't an option on the test card of the red sea pro mg so not sure what is going on

redsea_pro-16.jpg

thelawnwrangler

Thanks for the replies, I will list exactly as of today

Salt is 36 PPT
DKH 5.3
MEQ/L 1.9
MAG 380
Temp 78.5

I use Red Sea test kits and Red Sea Pro Salt
Seachem reef fusion 1&2
And BRS 2 part mag
I have everything going through a poly filter.

On your syringe if it says 0.3 you have used 0.7 so you use 0.7 on your card

rtparty

Raise The Reef!

My exact thoughts. I am not a chemist but I highly doubt a reading of 200 or 380 is correct. I remember all my corals looking pretty rough when my mag dropped to 900 because of a bad test kit. I can't imagine what they would do at 380 or lower.

So to the chemists out there...is 380 even possible in our tanks?

slickflick22

its titration test (sp?)

starts our red or blue and you drop until it turns the other color.

380 isn't an option on the test card of the red sea pro mg so not sure what is going on

redsea_pro-16.jpg

I think I have been reading it wrong! It's Tirana used! So I'm actually reading 1600! Best I stop dosing! I used up 80ml, thanks

slickflick22

My exact thoughts. I am not a chemist but I highly doubt a reading of 200 or 380 is correct. I remember all my corals looking pretty rough when my mag dropped to 900 because of a bad test kit. I can't imagine what they would do at 380 or lower.

So to the chemists out there...is 380 even possible in our tanks?

Stupid me! Never used Red Sea b4! I should read more carefully!

toothybugs

:) Better to feel stupid for a few minutes than to throw a ton of stuff in your tank and wonder why your numbers are going down and having stock die off on you.

Good to see you found your solution.