magnesium

lnnguyen714

I need help in buying magnesium. Is it worth to spend extra money to buy salifert magnesium additives? I am thinking getting Kent Tech M. Do you have any ohter additives that would recommend to get.? Thank you all for the help.

if i may chime in please!
i use Kent Tech-M due to space availability. 75 mL per month in a 70G tank to keep it around 1330-1350. one gallon is about $ 12.99 from Marinedepot plus $6.99 shipping.
John M...:)

Price you might want to pay will most likely reflect your tank size and your usage--

for Randy's "3" - part-- I'd just buy some mag flakes from twopartsolution.com or buckeyefieldsupply.com-- expect to pay about $20 with shipping, but the amount you will get will last most people for several years...

You can also use Epsom salt to raise Mag. It's very cheep.

Take a look at Randy's 2 part system.

Hi all,

Are we getting any magnesium from our CA reactor's media? I installed a reactor, and my Mg went from 1080 to 1380. hmm?

Paul

Over what period of time?

That may be testing error. All reactor media contains some, but many do not have enough to meet the demand in the tank. None can be used to boost magnesium if it is already low without too large of an increase in alkalinity.

I discuss that here, with the same issue applying to dolomite as normal media with magnesium in it::

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

"It has been suggested that adding dolomite to CaCO3/CO2 reactors can help with magnesium problems. Dolomite is a material that contains both magnesium and calcium carbonate. If dolomite is being added to the reactor to maintain existing appropriate magnesium levels against the continual depletion via calcification (for example, if the calcium carbonate being used is too low in magnesium to maintain adequate magnesium) then this is a fine approach.

However, this method is unsuitable if the goal is to raise magnesium levels. The problem is that for every magnesium ion released from the dolomite, 2 units of alkalinity are also released:

MgCO3 Mg++ + CO3--

Consequently, if one wants to raise magnesium by 100 ppm, the alkalinity will necessarily rise by 8.2 meq/L (23 dKH). The only way around this problem is to add a mineral acid (not vinegar) to the aquarium to reduce the alkalinity, and that may be more problematic than just adding magnesium in the first place."

Hi,

Ok, so no Dolomite. I will see if internet has anything for Mg. By the way, what CA reactor media do you recommend, if any?

Thanks,

Paul

I will see if internet has anything for Mg.

If you mean commercial (not DIY which is described above) then I recommend ESV B-ionic Magnesium or Kent Tech M. Some other brands may not be optimal.

Hi again,

Thanks for the tips! But I also need a brand name to trust when it comes to CA reactor media.

I hope you could chime in on this,

Thx,

Paul

Hi,

Is ARM the name brand? I tried drsfosterandsmith, and I did a search. I couldnt find it. Please give the complete name of the reactor media, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul

ARM is made by carib sea. I like this media because it disolves at a ph of high 6's and low 7's. Many of the other media requires low sixes, high fives in order to dissolve. I dislike this because it lowers my tanks PH too much, I like a higher ph.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9233890#post9233890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I will see if internet has anything for Mg.

If you mean commercial (not DIY which is described above) then I recommend ESV B-ionic Magnesium or Kent Tech M. Some other brands may not be optimal.
Randy, I HAVE to ask....I just left marinedepot and they list ESV B-ionic magnesium....is this the same as the product you make mention of above (with no b-ionic in the title)...Sorry, but I have been bitten in the past by NOT asking simple questions - - like this one..
Thanks in advance,
LuisNOT HAVE :eek1: :)

Back