Magnificent Foxface

t5Nitro

I ordered a magnificent foxface from Live Aquaria. I wanted a 3" one, but they sent me a 5 or 6" one. I put him in my 46 gallon bowed 3 foot tank for a QT, I have never QT'd before and people say it's the best to do. Is a 5 or 6" fish OK in a 3' QT for 3 weeks? I really don't know how I will get him out, kind of regretting acclimating him to that tank, he sort of paces back and forth on the front glass too. He looks real good though. Pics soon :D

He'll probably be ok as long as the water quality is good, generally a very hardy fish.

I put my M foxface in a 6' 210 gal tank and he paced the glass like yours for a good 2 weeks, I swore the tank was too small but he got over it and all is well. He is still a big chicken though.

Give him plenty of places to hide. He will be fine and you will be very pleased with your Foxface. Do remember that his dorsal fin is venomous. They do scare fairly easy.

It has minimul rock in it, 1 cave, maybe 1 rock he can go behind, and a corner that is surrounded by rock. It is just the old tank that I started transfering, not much left, so I kept it up for a QT for this fish.

drop in some pvc cut offs or some more rock. He will be scared as long as he has no place to ditch into quick.

He just sits in the rock with his fins flared yet. He does this most of the time, seems rare that he may come out and swim the front glass a bit. Is this stress or will he get used to the QT for 2 weeks? This is his QT and King Kong :lol:

DSC01537.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

He appears to be sitting against a rock now, leaning on it and his mouth always stays open, it always did that since I got him yesterday too. Does everyone's foxface keep their mouth open?

When he does come out of the rocks, he goes real fast up on the glass, like a fast back and forth thing. Should I just try to catch him now and get him to the larger tank? He hasn't ate yet, 2 days now.

I would leave him alone, trying to catch him now would only stress him more. Just be a little more patient, it's only been 2 days. Maybe kill the lights for a while if you have them on.
Also, where in Wisconsin are you?

I transfered him to the 125 earlier today and reintroduced the yellow tang. The powder brown (was super passive and didn't defend when the yellow tang slapped him) is now the aggresive one towards the foxface (5.5") and the yellow tang and him are a match up. The foxface is large, the powder brown is 4", he does chase him sometimes, but then the foxface will flare when he wants the other to back off and then the powder brown doesn't mess with him.

Lights are off and that powder brown tang does not like the new foxface even though he is a lot larger than him.

Back