Maintenance software

JulBranch

Does anyone know of good software program for keeping track of water changes and reef chemistry and fish/invert additions and so on.

You know I have seen good ones in Excel but I lost my favorites list after a computer crash and can't remember who had them. If I get a little industrious I may work on making one for a future Newbie Corner Article. To do that I'd need to make it more of an application where the actual worksheet would only include the parameters the hobbyist wishes to track but I've done that type of thing before and it only takes a little VBA code to accomplish.

How about software/equipment that can log all data in real time? I have a spare PC laying around and would love to set up an automated logger in the fish room complete with data logs, maintenance and limit alarms (via email integration), and constant monitoring of all params that are important.

That would be a great idea, if it doesnt exist forget the above post. I already have a patent! Might be expensive, but this aint no poor mans hobby! (unfortunately!)

How about telling me what you would like to see in a log program. Don't get too complicated as not everyone has Access but I can customize Excel to do a lot of things.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14830793#post14830793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
I lost my favorites list after a computer crash
Google toolbar has its own favorites list that will follow you from computer to computer. It keeps your favorites safe from a crash.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14833091#post14833091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stricknine
How about software/equipment that can log all data in real time?
There's a controller with an ethernet port. Can send daily reminders and of course emergency emails. I think you can even set it up for text message to a cell phone. Would be handy for a trip out of town, so long as you have a friend with a house key.

I suspect you can also dump the logs. Probably comes with its own software for generating graphs.

And you thought you were kidding. ;)

Well I know there are PH, Ca, Sg, temp, etc probes out there. Im thinking all probes can have a PC logging these readings constantly, and the user can set params for those, have the program email alerts, even have outputs to control dosing (no different than a printer!). {nevermind, I have it all patented!}.

Im not too far off my rocker, Im sure it is available in a commercial setting, and would probably purchase the homeowner version!

..and I wasn't kidding a bit!

The technology is there already, put it together, make it a business and voila! Pays for half of a 100Gal set up!

Stricknine, the controller I mentioned has connections for probes. If you own this patent, you should call a lawyer. :D

What is the controller out there?

No patent , just didnt want another reefer capitalizing on the great idea!(kidding) A patent would be nice though, also a software designer, chem engineer, instrumentation eng, few techs, what else?

Perfect reef in a box, now that'd be nice!

Back