Majano hell in an 850...Idea's?

Good luck with the majanos, I have heard its a pest...
Allthough I don't have any personal experience, I have seen serveral successes with the Seagrass Filefish but they will allso go after ur zoa's sometimes.

I hope racoons and kleini's will do the job for you!

I had an outbreak of aiptasia and mojano in my 90 reef. I have controlled both with Aiptasia X by Red Sea. Just treated last night to get rid of about 10-15 mojanos. It doesn't appear that it will completely rid the tank but I have kept them well under control.

I have treated about once a month for the past 3-4 months. I tried a Klein's prior to that which showed no interest in the mojano.

Will these fellas pic at lobo's or frogspawn and hammers??
12/08/2009 03:08 AM

Emilio C...sorry for not replying sooner, I never received notification about your post.

When I first put these guys in, the first thing they did was go right after my candy corals. It was a free for all and I was quite worried I had just made a big mistake. I put some nori in the tank and they took an instant liking to it and have been model citizens ever since. They never went after the candy corals again and never really did that much damage to them. They do investigate any new coral arrivals and so far the only one I can't keep is brown button polyps. They seem really interested in those. You can see in the picture they don't bother with the yellow polyps at all. I have a fourteen inch green hammer coral in the middle of my display which they have never touched so for the most part they are reef safe...with a little caution.

Just another update, the kleins started picking at my acans and stopped picking at the majano's so I pulled them out. The 2 racoons are still doing an amazing job at eating the anemone's. Understand that I had (conservatively) Many thousands (3 foot square fields of them) of these anemones in here. There are still some in the tank but you have to look to find them and they are all closed from being harrased. I would guess that there are maybe a couple hundred mixed in the rocks now. I will keep updating this but I assume they will at some time be all gone.....

Great news. At this point, it doesn't really matter if they are ALL gone or not. You've balanced the system by adding predators that keep the population in check. Majanos aren't particularly BAD, as long as they aren't able to take over the tank.

The way I look at things... the Majanos were there because the tank conditions gave them what they needed without anything holding them in check. If you were to eliminate them completely, something else might take advantage of their loss and there is not guarantee that the something else might be worse.

Good story...but I wish you had posted pics.

try a bristle tail filefish (acreichthys tomentosus). Some say they are not reefsafe. I have 1 in a sps tank and have not had any problems with them bothering anything. Now zoas forget it they were like a snack for him:)

+1

peppermint shrimp

peppermint shrimp

My buddy swears by the peppermint shrimp ....
The few he put in his 280 gallon reef wolfed all of them down basically overnight..he was stunned and amazed.....

personally...I have always used Joes Juice because it WORKS.

The trick is to not be cheap with it and paste the hell out of the little
B**&*)(_)__ Some people say they come back..THEY HAVE NEVER come
back with me.....but more appear because they were MISSED.

If you get in there an start mowing the lawn carefully and mow it every
single night for a few days you could beat this problem.

the trick is ....keep nailing them till you have every single one that
you can see.....

Now...once that is done it will be regular maintenance of probably
once per week going in and nailing them...

You likely will not eradicate the problem but you can get it under
decent control...but mannnnn you have some work ahead....I dont envy you.

Tim

Great story about the racoon success! I have a similar issue in my 120. . .the tops of all the rocks are covered. . .I just put in an juvenile Asfurs Angel after hearing that it will eat them. . .let's hope. . .

Update.... After a solid 20 minutes of scanning the tank everywhere there used to be feilds of these, I found a grand total of 2 anemones hiding in crevices. The racoons have still not got aggressive about my ricordia's yet, they have nipped at them a few times but not really gone after them...yet. I am going the sumps and fuge and cleaning the remaining few I can find. It looks as though I might just win this battle :D

A LCS(local coral shop) near me had a terrible majano problem in one of their 400+gallon coral vats. They added a singapore angel and it has done a hell of a job so far.

Informative,thank you. We have some in a zoo tank which I am not sure how to handle. I hope the bannerfish work. I heard that the orangespot filefish works, although they have a taste for stony corals. I am starting a tank, and maybe I'll put some butterfly fish in first to break it in before loading in the corals.

My buddy swears by the peppermint shrimp ....
The few he put in his 280 gallon reef wolfed all of them down basically overnight..he was stunned and amazed.....
Tim

Your buddy was probably talking about aptasias.

X-Factor, good to hear the racoons are a success. Those darn majanoes are a real pest indeed. I picked up a Klein's bfly and he's doing a helluva job taking out the majanoes as well. So cool to see him aggressively attacking them. :dance:

Ok another little update. At this point I cannot find a single majano anywhere in my system, I have cleaned my sump and refugium (this totals 350 gallons) completely. I threw away 2 completely full 5 gallon buckets of calurpa and chateo that had majano's mixed in it. There are also the 4 "satellite" tanks that are connected to the system that I have pulled and cleaned. At this point I cannot find a single majano anywhere in the system. I am planning on pulling the raccoons out in the next month or so and get back to adding corals..... "crosses fingers"

Back