Making sand from dead coral?

Shaker nemo

I got some dead coral i got at a nearby beach. Lots of acropora and some types of brain coral and small pieces of other lps. If i grind it fine enough can i turn it to sand or at least crushed coral? Cuz taking/buying sand from the sea is illegal here:worried2:. aragonite sand is also made of CaCO3 so it should be basically the same thing right? i want it for the buffering (its for a 10 gallon reef tank) THX :rollface:

well, sorry to be a wiseass but, crushed coral = crushed coral

with enough patience, sure. I'd try putting it into a towel and hammer away, then rinse off the fines from the resulting "crushed coral"

I see you state its illegal for you to take/buy sand from your oceans where your from, but is it also illegal for you to make an order from an international seller and just purchase a bag of sand? Considering that all your setting up is a 10 gallon, its not like you're going to need more than 20lbs of sand so shipping isn't going to be absurdly expensive.

My bigger concern about making your own substrate would be what has soaked into those coral skeletons and do you really want that in your tank. IE pollutants, phosphates, etc.

Considering that all your setting up is a 10 gallon, its not like you're going to need more than 20lbs of sand so shipping isn't going to be absurdly expensive.

Based on his location and FedEx rates from my location to his, i think it would be absurdly expensive... 20 lbs box quotes as $347.12 with FedEx International Economy®.

I really hope that is totally wrong, its just crazy.

gorgok i really hope your wrong... Cuz im thinking of shipping a kroalia nano from US. That shipping rate is just frikin CRAZY!!!Anyways, how do i cure the dead coral? THX :D

So it's illegal to get sand from the beach or sea, but you can legally take coral that has washed up on the beach?

I got some dead coral i got at a nearby beach. Lots of acropora and some types of brain coral and small pieces of other lps. If i grind it fine enough can i turn it to sand or at least crushed coral? Cuz taking/buying sand from the sea is illegal here:worried2:. aragonite sand is also made of CaCO3 so it should be basically the same thing right? i want it for the buffering (its for a 10 gallon reef tank) THX :rollface:

Naw, they are not the same thing. Coral skeltons are deposited by biological activity, and aragonite is a precipitate due to a physical process. A world apart, despite the similarities.

Also the purpose for which you wish to use it, (buffering) is based on mis-information. Neither crushed coral, nor aragonite will provide ANY buffereing of any amount. The pH of the marine environment, and that of marine aquariums, is too high for any sort of buffering by crushed coral/aragonite. The pH has to be lowered below 7, for any dissolution of either to occur. Usually, this is accomplished using CO2, with a calcium reactor (no I am not suggesting the use of such on a ten gallon tank.)

Silica sand is available almost anywhere as far as I know, it is perfectly fine, only issue with it is it is a bit "rough" for bottom dwelling critters.

Back