"Making wishes" in your fish tank

iwishtofish

Has anyone ever had a kid (big or small) toss a penny in their tank? Having a child, it's something that just comes to mind...

Oh, definitely not going to do it. I'm thinking about it as one of my greatest fears. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, how they learned of it, what transpired, etc.

there was something on the new about how an lfs ripped off some kids, so they put pennies in the sump. Something like that anyway....or maybe it was a dream. this comment never happened........

This happened to me at my high school graduation. My 3 year old cousin threw a handful of pennies into the refugium on my 187 gallon. I ended up losing my urchin, my snails, my cleaner shrimp, my bubbletip anemone, and all the caulerpa in the fuge. Surprisingly none of the hermit crabs seemed to be affected.

I only figured out why everything was dying when I was pulling out masses of dying caulerpa and saw a penny. With more searching, one penny turned into 18 pennies.

Yeah, ask Paul B about this. He has told a tale about how back in the day when there was no Cupramine, Copper Safe, ect., he fashioned a penny holder and added pennies to the tank to kill ich. Back then I don't think they had live rock or coral, but if pennies can kill ich then it can and will kill all other invertebrates along with it.

Lol, SaltwaterSensei, no good if the wishing penny kills them!

So, apparently there is a pretty dramatic effect if a penny goes in the tank.

Back