Mandarin Advice

Rafa Reef

Looking for some advise on Mandarins

Getting a lot of conflicting info on whether or not they'd be ok in my 33gal tank. Some are saying no problem and others saying no chance.

So for context, at present I have a large aquascape in there, so plenty of space for pod population to grow. In the tank at present I have 2 clowns, a cardinal and a royal gramma and CUC.

The only objection people seem to have is Pod population, so if you are to feed pods from a bag on top of the 'native' population within the tank will this be fine?

Had the tank 6 months, so don't know if i will need to wait a bit longer for population to develop!

Thanks

For a quick boost or supplement, you can always buy pods from a place like AlgaeBarn or from certain members here like @hollback. Otherwise it’s waiting for the tank to get established.

You could also look at getting a captive bred Mandarin from Biota. They’re supposed to be on dry or frozen foods

For a quick boost or supplement, you can always buy pods from a place like AlgaeBarn or from certain members here like @hollback. Otherwise it’s waiting for the tank to get established.

You could also look at getting a captive bred Mandarin from Biota. They’re supposed to be on dry or frozen foods
Everyone has been recommending Biota, but im not sure you can get them in the UK...

just buy some pods and make sure they can reproduce. some pods are sterile in the market just for feeding and not for multiplying. let them run wild for 3 months and you will have a lot of pod population. have some cheto or algae in sump that where they will like to live and hide.

Everyone has been recommending Biota, but im not sure you can get them in the UK...
So I asked Biota about this. They ship directly to consumers in the US but will ship to distributors around the world. They didn’t really elaborate too much on who they ship to but it might be something to ask your LFS if they are able to contact their distributor and see about it? Just a thought.

So I asked Biota about this. They ship directly to consumers in the US but will ship to distributors around the world. They didn’t really elaborate too much on who they ship to but it might be something to ask your LFS if they are able to contact their distributor and see about it? Just a thought.
That's interesting to know, i'll see if anyone can get one!

just buy some pods and make sure they can reproduce. some pods are sterile in the market just for feeding and not for multiplying. let them run wild for 3 months and you will have a lot of pod population. have some cheto or algae in sump that where they will like to live and hide.
I have a fluval flex which had the integrated chamber within the tank, could you put the cheto in the pump chamber?

you could but will need alternative lighting schedule than your normal tank lighting schedule. Its done best so when your tank is dar your sump is lit up so chaeto can produce oxygen and take up co2 and keep pH balanced throughout the 24 hr period. otherwise if tank is dark and so it sump then co2 builds up and pH drops at night.

Back