mandarin vs Clownfish

MimicTang

In Memoriam
Any reason why these two would fight?

Also have royal gramma, algae blenny, and BIG 5-6" sandsifting goby I forget the type.

first thing i would NOT add one to your tank. You've already got a sand sifter in there which is taking out many pods. the manderin will not do well more than likely.

But to your question, there shouldnt be any problems. Dragonetts are known for not getting in the way of other fish.

LOL my sandsifting is a lazy one at that. He's first at the frozen. He sits and supervisors the tank or sits on a rock.

I agree that there won't be any fighting. Whether or not the mandarin will have enough food, I don't know.

good point mariner. If it is a maroon, i see that very possible that its chasing it. They're jerks anyways. But if its a perc or even ocellaris, it shouldnt fight.

What size tank is this mimic? Maybe you got too much in too little of space.

That's what I was thinkin' sir_dudeguy. Maroon's are very aggressive, and several other species of clown CAN be (Tomato, Two Stripe, etc.). But chasing a mandarin is pretty odd behavior for an Ocellaris.
It's weird :confused:
Mariner

That is odd. I have two Clarkiis and a goby with a Mandarin and the Clarkiis pay absolutely not attention to it at all.

how big is the tank you have?

do you have a fuge?

how big is the tank they are currently in?

does the clown have anything to host/rub on currently? in your tank?

i think that info might be useful...

On the right track their sammyp. Tank size would make a large difference in the territorial behavoir of the clown. Even an ocellaris can be territorial.

Is the clown kept singly or is he with a mate? Ocellaris tend to do better in pairs. Mine get along great with my mandarin....well, neither pays the other any attention anyways. In fact, my Ocellaris tend to swim with my regal, yellow wrasse, 6 line, scooter blenny, and used to hang out with my coral beauty until it jumped tank on me. Their about as freindly as i've ever seen a fish be.

You may just have the Jack-the-Ripper of clownfish...possibly Jane-the-Ripper.
I'd probably have a bad attitude too if my genetics had been messed with as much as hers. :p
Mariner

Does your mandarin try to eat the food during feeding times? If so, I'd consider getting rid of the mean clown for two new ones and keep the mandarin you have. It's not often they can be weened onto prepared foods or pellets.

Back