Mandarin

rich19020

On Sunday I was cleaning my tank and I think I scared the mandarin with the vacuum tube. Since then the fish has been in hiding and today I noticed it sleeping upside down. I thought it might be dead but it is still breathing.

Is this normal behavior for a fish who might be stressed or is this fish near its end? Any suggestions? By the way all the water parameter are fine.

Thanks.

Being upside down isn't normal. And stress can be an issue. But my first concern is, how long have you had the mandarin? What does it eat? A 14g bio-cube isn't likely to produce enough pods to keep a mandarin alive for long. How sure are you it isn't starving (a common fate for mandarins).

Being upside down isn't normal. And stress can be an issue. But my first concern is, how long have you had the mandarin? What does it eat? A 14g bio-cube isn't likely to produce enough pods to keep a mandarin alive for long. How sure are you it isn't starving (a common fate for mandarins).

Exactly. But if it is newly acquired, it may have been cyanide caught.

I have owned the mandarin for about 1.5 months. I buy ever two weeks a bottle of live copepods and put them in late at night so no other fish will eat them. I know that I'm crazy for spending so much to feed the mandarin, but I feel that I have the obligation since I bought it.

I thought the pods also live in the rocks besides the crush coral. Are you saying adding the pods is useless?

Not saying it's useless, but the pods will live all over, not just in the rock. Have you built any "pod piles" of small rock rubble for them to breed in?

I think it's going to be to hard for you to build up a big enough pod population to support a mandarin in that size tank. Your best best would have been to look for one that is eating frozen or flake food. Do his sides look shrunken in? Usually you can see when they are getting pretty skinny....

We have a fat one in our 75 for the last year, and we don't even have enough pods to support him....we just got extremely fortunate that he eats pellets and flakes.

IMO, you should return the mandarin to your LFS. A 14g biocube is entirely too small for this fish. Mandarins eat all day long, and will wipe out your pod population VERY quickly. Yes, some mandarins will eat other foods, but those foods will not properly sustain it. Hold out on a mandarin for when you upgrade (you know you will...lol) to a much larger tank (think 75g+).

Instead of vaccuming sand maybe add some sand sifters to your CUC and add flow if ur having detritis problems. I agree a 14g is to small for a mandrin maybe a different gobie? could help keep the sandbed clean too.

I am sad to say the mandarian died today. Thank you everybody for your input it is greatly appreciated.

I knew after buying the fish based on the LFS recommendation it was going to require a lot of pods. I thought buying live pods would do the tick. I guess I was wrong.

Follow up on the previous post though. Do most people vacuum the crush coral? I have no live sand in the tank.

Second question: I know my son is going to want to replace the fish and suggestions? I have a Osc. Clown and a yellow tail damsel. Also have coral and a LTA.

With a 14 g you are not really in a place to add anymore fish, when the clown becomes female she will own the tank. You would be better off to let your son pick out a new member of the CUC or a coral. Peppermint, cleaner, or a fire shrimp can be quite entertaining.

Oh nevermind about sand sifters then. As far as vaccuming goes, i dont see it hurting if things collect on the crushed coral. Sorry about the mandarin theyre beautiful fish. The lfs owner shoulda known better, reaserch is key goodluck with the tank

I am sad to say the mandarian died today.

Sorry for your loss

I knew after buying the fish based on the LFS recommendation

I would change LFS or at least never listen to their advice

suggestions? I have a Osc. Clown and a yellow tail damsel. Also have coral and a LTA.

Your current population is really more than your tank can sustain

You can probably add a watchman goby or the like. I'd be worried about that damsel though. Is it aggressive?

Back