mantis and a lobster

CadetMKultra

I recently saw some kind of little yellow mantis for sale at New World Aquariums. They swear it's a species of spearer. It's about the size of a finger. I'm thinking of taking my 24 gallon aquapod in a new direction. Do you think that a small spearing type mantis could coexist with one of those purple reef lobsters? Could any mantis? What are your thoughts?

Generally I'd say no, until recently when I saw a mantis in a piece of my base rock. Only thing is my debelius reef lobster resides in the same rock, only on the other side. The tank has has no new additions in the past 8 months so they've co-exsisted for at least that long. The two of em are roughly the same size and in a 56g so take this fwiw.

It was just a thought. I kinda figured that they were both formidable enough, that they wouldn't want much to do with eachother. I'll keep it in mind.

my mantis destroyed my purple lobster very easily. I wouldn't recommend it. I have a peacock so thats worth considering but lobsters being hard bodied prey are definitely on the smashing mantis menu. However, with a small mantis species and a large lobster I would imagine there could be coexistence.

A Pseudosquilla ciliata is not much of a threat to a lobster except when it molts. The reverse is also true.

Roy

Back