Mantis & crab

WhiteTang

image.jpg
Hi!
I just removed this crab from my system (see pic) and I still have a mantis shrimp to remove!
I tried the bottle trap without luck. I also tried injecting soda water in the crevice I know the [profanity] is hiding without any luck. Anyone have any idea what ekes to try? Preferably something that doesn't result throwing away the rock or smashing it to bits and pieces?

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk if this will work but you can use a lil hook with bait and when he grabs it try to whip him out as he holds on

Ive caught freshwayet lobsters like this

Idk if this will work but you can use a lil hook with bait and when he grabs it try to whip him out as he holds on

Ive caught freshwayet lobsters like this

I seriously doubt he will fall for that. He came on my live rock 1,5 month ago and I could hear the clicking sounds he made and only seen him once. Actually a glimpse of that svelte [profanity].

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you take the rock out of the tank he is in? After, put the rock in a QT.

I can take the rock out but I don't have a QT tank.
Let's hypothesize I setup a bucket that will be the QT and I transfer the rock, what then??

Ps my tank is a 16g nano. The rock the beast lives in, is one of the big ones. If I take it out of the tank for too long I guess my DT will suffer serious bacteria loss. No?

View attachment 278679
Hi!
I just removed this crab from my system (see pic) and I still have a mantis shrimp to remove!
I tried the bottle trap without luck. I also tried injecting soda water in the crevice I know the <font size="1" color="#0000FF">profanity removed</font> is hiding without any luck. Anyone have any idea what ekes to try? Preferably something that doesn't result throwing away the rock or smashing it to bits and pieces?

i caught a crab just like this that scraped algae, but it in my sump and he just sits there lol

If the rock is easy to remove you could submerge it in a bucket filled with RO water for a few minutes. The shrimp should pop out after a few minutes, it worked for me.

My wife thought I was crazy, since I would do this at 2AM in the morning, but here it goes. I had a rash of crabs (no snickering please) that was driving me nuts with the popping and the need to remove them. I bought one of those grabbers that you can get at a LFS or online, then mashed some shrimp on the inside of one of the claws of the grabber. SLOWLY (they are smart creatures) lower the grabber in the water near the animal. Then when they go to take the shrimp, you can grab 'em. I have a sump that has about 6 of them and a refugium with one big bad boy.
BTW, I have a 220 gallon so I was reluctant to re-establish my rock work. If you are patient, you'll be successful.

My wife thought I was crazy, since I would do this at 2AM in the morning, but here it goes. I had a rash of crabs (no snickering please) that was driving me nuts with the popping and the need to remove them. I bought one of those grabbers that you can get at a LFS or online, then mashed some shrimp on the inside of one of the claws of the grabber. SLOWLY (they are smart creatures) lower the grabber in the water near the animal. Then when they go to take the shrimp, you can grab 'em. I have a sump that has about 6 of them and a refugium with one big bad boy.
BTW, I have a 220 gallon so I was reluctant to re-establish my rock work. If you are patient, you'll be successful.

picturesa?!?!? i must see this

Back