Mantis Galore

andamanocean

As i mentioned previously, i live on Phuket an Island in the Indian Ocean (Andaman Sea), thus marine life is on my doorstep (well back door anyway).

The wife often head's down the beach to scourge some broken coral bones (live bacteria, but dead coral no harm to the environment which wash up all over the places) for the rear glass, actually got possibly the last bit curing now (fibreglass).

4f8883e.jpg

I realise it looks somewhat messy (Roughly 12 inches tall), but will end up (hoping within the next week to cure within the tank), thus create a mesh across the back pane where corals can scale up (kinda like a hanging wall idea).

naturally "****" loads of the purple/green/yellow/pink algae on - hoping that survives over the next week as would make a great addition to the glass wall - mind i may have a few spots appearing now anyway, the jury is still out.

763913f.jpg

Anyway currently we're taking a few days out to explore the reefs of Thailand Surat Thani, Phuket, Trang (another of my residences), Krabi (another of my residences) Chomburi, thus been taking some time looking at the reefs, it pains me to say, there appears to have been a mass bleaching recently as basically the best i've seen to-date is off our own beach (private between owners) the ones on the island and the local islands are in an abysmal state, not least to say that the fish stocks are down tremendously.

Anyway, allowed myself to run away there... as i mentioned i and the wife are often on the beaches, and we are always shocked at how many Mantis there are (thousands at low tide, just about everywhere!!).

Anyway, after getting off the yacht on mainland today, we noticed these little buggers. - so cute, actually will likely set up another much smaller tank running off the same sump system in the book case wall . - Just want to make sure they are Mantis, saves me collecting from the back garden as ill buy one on our last day here and take back to phuket for a new tank.

767112b.jpg

760a55a.jpg

772d967.jpg

Oh, if anyone else is based in the region, lets connect maybe you can point me in the direction of where i can buy some Montipora, as i understand its illegal to import, yes i know its just in the sea ... but cant take from there...

RedMontipora-Bottom-2013-08-06.jpg

Back