Mantis in a Pico

Newfishgirl

I just purchased a 4 gallon Pico and was debating getting a mantis shrimp. I have owned several over the past few years but of course they have been in much bigger tanks. With the exception of my Peacock mantis, they have pretty much stayed in one place with the exception of hunting for food. Is there a good mantis for a Pico?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N. Wennerae was recommended for pico tanks. I am also considering a mantis for when my current pistol shrimp & goby pair pass away (going on 5 years now).

A Wennerae would be good. You may need to relocate it if it gets too big, but you should be fine. Because the tank is so small and the mantis shrimp kills a lot (and sometimes hides his food for later) nitrates or ammonia can be a problem. I would do water changes almost everyday in that size tank.

With a 4G tank you would need to be exxxtrraa careful about your water quality, salinity swings when doing water changes, temp swings, etc.

Inverts are notoriously sensitive. Tidal Mantis are probably a little more resistant than most however.

I like some species of Haptosquilla in small tanks. H. glyptocercus and H.trispinosa are good. They reach a maximum size of 35 - 40 mm, feed by darting out of their cavity entrance and live for three or four years. While they remain much of the time in their cavities they are not secretive. They are usually found setting in the cavity entrance watching the world go by.

Roy

Back