Mantis questions: lifespan, water additives, tank objects

Kara

Premium Member
I've read that their natural choice of house to live in a burrow (tunnel). I've got a good few inches of sand down in the tank, but I son't want a tank with just sand in it for him. I've had suggestions for live rock, PVC, even a 'ghost house' (clear plastic tube) for the mantis. I'd prefer to make the tank as natural a habitat as possible for the little guy. But I also want to see him, not have him hiding away all the time. I've got some nice macroalgae in the tank. Any other suggestions as to the tank/house objects?

In my main tank, I add iodine once a week. I know it helps all my various shrimp (cbs, sexy, peppermint, cleaner, pistol) grow and molt. Does a mantis shrimp need these additives also? Would it help with his molting and growth? Or is it unnecessary?

Also, what is average lifespan of a mantis shrimp? I realize that there are many species and the lifespan probably varies but I have been unable to find ANY information on this.

I'm picking up my mantis shrimp this evening. The tank is cycled and ready to go! I'M SO EXCITED! I'll post pictures tonight! :D :D :D

Thank you in advance for the opinions and advice!

" I've had suggestions for live rock, PVC, even a 'ghost house' (clear plastic tube) for the mantis. I'd prefer to make the tank as natural a habitat as possible for the little guy. But I also want to see him, not have him hiding away all the time. I've got some nice macroalgae in the tank. Any other suggestions as to the tank/house objects?"

just an idea, and the reason ppl say to use LR....
its a great filter... (yeah, yeah)
but, if you get one with alot of holes in it, he will hide at first, but then..... he feels more secure and will come out more and more than just sitting in a corner of a sterile, white tank... think of the padded rooms where they bring people... thats kinda what its like for the lil guys if you don't have some sort of hiding spot.... a sterile box for life. i have a 7 lb LR with lots an lots of holes in it, and no, for the first week i didn't see him, but now he comes out all the time!!!! he doesn't just stick to the rock either, hes all over... the other day he decided to check out the top of the tank next to my powerhead... (it has a sponge filter over it to keep him alive)
hes soooo cute...

Back