Mantis Shrimp Available For Adoption

hilltopfarms

I caught a nice Mantis Shrimp yesterday... Not sure but I think he's of the peacock variety and is about 3.5'' long. If anyone's interested in adoption please let me know ASAP. He's residing in my fuge until I find him a new home.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14745157#post14745157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by micstarz
Keep him in your fuge! They make good pets.

What and how often should I feed him?

I would start him off on snails and maybe some ghost shrimp. He will also most likely accept pieces of frozen krill and shrimp. And feed him every tow to three days. I love to hit up my local fish stores for hitchhiker crabs to feed to my mantis. I sometimes luck out and find fidlers or super small crawfish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14745235#post14745235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 351winsor
I would start him off on snails and maybe some ghost shrimp. He will also most likely accept pieces of frozen krill and shrimp. And feed him every tow to three days. I love to hit up my local fish stores for hitchhiker crabs to feed to my mantis. I sometimes luck out and find fidlers or super small crawfish.

OK, I'll give that a try. Of course he should be fat and happy right now after decimating the hermit and shrimp population in my main tank over the past few weeks. I would still like to find him a new home eventually though as a clear acrylic box does not seem like an ideal Mantis shrimp habitat to me. But then again, I guess that beats the alternative, at least if you're the shrimp, which involves a fork and some butter!

i'd take him If your willing to ship, but I think you should try keeping him for a little too. There such awesome animals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14745570#post14745570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by micstarz
Ghost shrimp are poor nutritional content, I have heard...

I was planning on using frozen shrimp from the grocery and possibly canned clams if he will accept them.

they'll eat the frozen food but they need live food at least once a week to really keep them healthy, like snail and hermits

Thanks to everyone for the advise! I am happy to report that I have found a local foster parent for the little fella and he's going to a good home. :D

Guess there really is a niche in the hobby for these guys after all. I can see why now, absolutely amazing and beautiful creatures with tons of personality!

Back