mantle gaping on maxima

jcw

Bought this beautiful but tiny clam from DD about a week ago.

Set it on a rock and it moved onto the crushed coral about 2 days later.

Looked to be doing well and this AM I found that the mantle was gaping for about 1/3 its length. :(

clam-1.jpg

I have a sad.

This is my first clam. Thanks for the reassurance.

I tried to wait before getting one.

top down pic would be perfect. but gaping does not seem to be the case. the large incurrent siphon in gaping is very open, large, and usually rounded and there's no mistaking the clam as verrrry unhealthy.

Looked to be doing well and this AM I found that the mantle was gaping for about 1/3 its length.

Looks like a normal incurrent siphon from what I can see. And quite a pretty clam, too. I do not think you should worry, or have any more sad.

top down pic would be perfect. but gaping does not seem to be the case. the large incurrent siphon in gaping is very open, large, and usually rounded and there's no mistaking the clam as verrrry unhealthy.
Looks like a normal incurrent siphon from what I can see. And quite a pretty clam, too. I do not think you should worry, or have any more sad.

Whew. The gaping is opposite the side of the siphon.

I'll try to get a good top down pic. It's right above the return.

I've read that these guys can go bad on you in a heartbeat. It's got me a little edgy.

Whew. The gaping is opposite the side of the siphon. the bottom 2 arrows you have are pointing to the inhalant siphon

I'll try to get a good top down pic. It's right above the return.

I've read that these guys can go bad on you in a heartbeat. It's got me a little edgy.
that they can. sometimes it's obvious, but other times they are snail food overnight.

Back