Margarita Snails upside down?

Lateralus_

Did a 10% water change (distilled 0ppm water) on my 45 gal last night. Today all 3 of my margarita snails are upside down and not closed.

All other fish seem fine, I have 2 clowns, 1 wrasse and 1 bubble tip. Also my Starfish and nassarius snail seem fine too.

Could I have messed up the salinity during the water change? Thats the only thing I came up with when I did a search. My SG tester is one of those crappy fluval ones that stick on the side of the tank.

Other tank params are fine.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite/Nitrate: 0
Phos: 0.2

Sorry to possibly be a bit abusive, just that, among other things, I believe a refractometer is very important for the accurate measurement of salinity, that every one with a reef tank must have one.

You might also consider getting 35 PPT calibration solution. Do not calibrate to RO/DI water

Being that the rest of the livestock seems to be ok, especially the starfish, the bubble tip, & the nassarius snails, I highly doubt the salinity is what's causing these snails to behave the way they are. It's something else IMO. (bad apples perhaps)
FWIW, I've been using a $7.99 floating glass hydrometer for about 15 years now without any problems. Go figure... "If you can't afford a refractometer get out of the hobby," please... :rolleyes:

Have you tried flipping the snails over at all? What happens? If they're not moving at all, you might want to give one a good whiff to make sure it's not dead.

Last edited:
I started with a hydrometer and when I purchased a refractometer I found the results to be off by about 10%.

What kind of hydrometer? It's a shame sometimes when the floating glass hydrometers seemed to get lumped together with the plastic swing arm types.

Well, they are alive. I flipped them back, they are mostly staying still but they are moving their head/mouth around a lot like when they eat but they are doing it in the air, if that makes sense.

I have read they don't live long in aquarium environments, it's just strange this happened to all 3 at the same time after my water change. Maybe I stirred up some toxins or something?

My tank is only 4 months ago, got a bit of red slime and diatoms but not too much.

keep in mind that margarita snails are better suited for a cooler tank, though I've read that they can live in tropical temps short term. this is unfortunate because so many stores, big box and independent sell them as tropical snails.

Back