Marine Begginer

MaximusUSG

My salt tank has been up for a little over 14 months. I have a 75 gallon tank with about 70 lbs of live rock sitting on crushed coral w/under gravel filter. I have a wet dry filter with a skimmer. The return pump is about 795 gph. I have 2 1200 powerheads running the under gravel filter and a couple other powerheads for current. My lighting is a JBJ formosa with 4-96 watt bulbs. In my tank I have the following fish:
2-yellow tail damsels
1-hippo tang
1-koran angel (sp)
1-saddle back puffer
1-white stripe maroon clown
1-brittle starfish
few-snails
few-red leg crabs
several-red/green mushrooms
1-green goniopora (latest addition)

Everything that I have in my tank is healthy and doing fine, I forgot my carpet anenome (sp) also doing fine. I am looking for any sort of insight as to why all of a sudden my goniopora doesn't open completly. The first week it was as beautiful as could be, but now it will only extend a couple inches out of the base.. I am looking for any help out there. Any comments, questions or suggestions are welcome. What else should I be doing for my tank? I have reached a level in my reef that I am now lost.

Goniopra's dont do well, and 95 % of the time they die. They live in wter so dirty you cant see your hand in front of your face, as well as very high water flow. In the wild the water current is vigorous.
No one knows what they feed off of but they usually die from disease and the fleshy part of them will start to receed until it is dead.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6969136#post6969136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Witchdoctor_h
What are your water parameters? Have you tested it?

I don't have a fancy test kit. I have the test strips and everything looked good. My nitrates were a little high so I put some of the nitrate sorb stuff in a sack in my sump. That seemed to get them down a little.. The specific gravity is right in the middle of the hydrometer marks..

[welcome]

Test strips are inaccurate. if you want accurate results, then use the Salifert test Kits. Best on the market.

What tests are most commonly used? What should I test for most? I found the salifert tests on Marine Depot and there are several things to test for..

I have lost about 3 fish and a piece of coral in that time frame. I have been using the test strips that I mentioned earlier. I am sure some dumb luck is in there too.. Do I need to test for calc.?

i also have a strip test and red sea tube tests.... i always use the test strips and everyonce in a while i will do both to make sure the readings are the same.. and they are.. i dont have any problem with the test strip

I have lost about 3 fish and a piece of coral in that time frame. I have been using the test strips that I mentioned earlier. I am sure some dumb luck is in there too.. Do I need to test for calc.?

You should test for everything when you have corals since certain ones will take up more elements than others.

I went to LFS and bought saltwater test kit. My ph is 8.2 nitrite is 0 and ammonia is 0.25 and nitrates are off the chart.. I have found my problem. Anyone have any idea's to get the nitrates gone and to stay gone?

Re: Marine Begginer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6969022#post6969022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MaximusUSG

1-saddle back puffer

1-green goniopora (latest addition)

Not to sure these two are compatable .... won't the puffer peck at the coral?

MaximusUSG:"Anyone have any idea's to get the nitrates gone and to stay gone?"

Would getting rid of the undergravel filter be the first step along with removing any bioballs/filter material from the wet/dry if you have any?

ya'll are missing his fish list!!! the puffer is NOT REEF SAFE because it LOVES TO EAT POLYPS!!!!

angels are a hit and miss on the reef safe list: sometimes they eat them, sometimes they don't...

IMO you have fowlr fish in a reef tank, and are now asking WHY the reef isn't doing good: pull out the corals, sell them, and you'll be fine.

oh, and if trates are off the charts, large water changes... if you run a UG filter, check out the 35 year old tank thread... he runs one, but in reverse with VERY low flow... I don't think it would be possible with your large bioload.

I'd also ditch the UG, the biomedia...

so: in conclusion: you can't really have many corals with your fish, so one or the other has to go. Goniporia do horrible in fishtanks, its probably not going to make it. Your puffer and angel are both known for picking on corals, since its thier natural food. Your filtration system needs updating.

oh, PS: I have never tested for alk... don't know why I would need to???

but, test kits from salifert are great, theres usually a waiting list for the nitrate kit...

Back