marine boating conditions

ladyfsu

Where's the best place online to find out about local boating conditions. We want to go to one of the islands just offshore Thur-Sat. and I'm under the impression it's going to be very windy. Thanks.

Laine

chimmike

oxygen abuser
I'm not aware of one in particular but I use google and just check for tides, offshore winds (buoys and markers)

ladyfsu

I had just looked at 3 sites found on google that gave me differing numbers (and I want a forecast, not actual data). I'm just hoping one of the boater regulars had one site they trust the most. Thanks.

stylolvr

+1 for NOAA

weather.com and wunderground.com are pretty reliable ones

sailflow.com has really accurate wind forecasts and tidal info

Also, if you have a VHF radio (you should if you have a boat on the water), switch it over to the weather (WX) stations and listen for a few minutes. It does forecasts through the weekend usually for the local areas. You have to be a bit patient, as it rolls through all the areas in the region for each day, but it is coming from the National Weather Service.

Good luck!

ladyfsu

AWESOME! Thanks :)

and yes, we have a radio. We had a hand-held and just put in a mounted one to be a little safer.

stpauli914

I have a marine radio in my garage and listen to channel 1 for the local NWS reports. They give a weeks worth of forecasts. You can also check baynews9.com and go to marine weather. They have buoy data etc.

alfa1023

Laine,

Please keep in mind that these forecasts are just that: a forecast. Much like our esteemed hurricane predictors and other weather experts, these are their guesses based on their many tools, models, etc.

Many a time we have planned offshore trips when forecasts called for winds of 5 to 10 and seas of 2' to 3' (or less) only to be met with significantly different (worse) conditions.

Jim

xxseawolf

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14799639#post14799639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alfa1023
Laine,

Please keep in mind that these forecasts are just that: a forecast. Much like our esteemed hurricane predictors and other weather experts, these are their guesses based on their many tools, models, etc.

Many a time we have planned offshore trips when forecasts called for winds of 5 to 10 and seas of 2' to 3' (or less) only to be met with significantly different (worse) conditions.

Jim
well put.

todd