marine boating conditions

ladyfsu

Where's the best place online to find out about local boating conditions. We want to go to one of the islands just offshore Thur-Sat. and I'm under the impression it's going to be very windy. Thanks.

Laine

I'm not aware of one in particular but I use google and just check for tides, offshore winds (buoys and markers)

I had just looked at 3 sites found on google that gave me differing numbers (and I want a forecast, not actual data). I'm just hoping one of the boater regulars had one site they trust the most. Thanks.

+1 for NOAA

weather.com and wunderground.com are pretty reliable ones

sailflow.com has really accurate wind forecasts and tidal info

Also, if you have a VHF radio (you should if you have a boat on the water), switch it over to the weather (WX) stations and listen for a few minutes. It does forecasts through the weekend usually for the local areas. You have to be a bit patient, as it rolls through all the areas in the region for each day, but it is coming from the National Weather Service.

Good luck!

AWESOME! Thanks :)

and yes, we have a radio. We had a hand-held and just put in a mounted one to be a little safer.

I have a marine radio in my garage and listen to channel 1 for the local NWS reports. They give a weeks worth of forecasts. You can also check baynews9.com and go to marine weather. They have buoy data etc.

Laine,

Please keep in mind that these forecasts are just that: a forecast. Much like our esteemed hurricane predictors and other weather experts, these are their guesses based on their many tools, models, etc.

Many a time we have planned offshore trips when forecasts called for winds of 5 to 10 and seas of 2' to 3' (or less) only to be met with significantly different (worse) conditions.

Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14799639#post14799639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alfa1023
Laine,

Please keep in mind that these forecasts are just that: a forecast. Much like our esteemed hurricane predictors and other weather experts, these are their guesses based on their many tools, models, etc.

Many a time we have planned offshore trips when forecasts called for winds of 5 to 10 and seas of 2' to 3' (or less) only to be met with significantly different (worse) conditions.

Jim
well put.

todd

Back