Marine food

TankCla

SPSychology
The other day I was looking at my marine food stock, and I realized that all my frozen food (San Francisco Bay, Hikari, etc) have only 5%-8% crude protein and up to 94% moisture:fun5:. The only good one I have is PE Mysis with 68% crude protein.
I am trying to feed them good food, but the market in my town is somehow limited.

What food are you using to feed your saltwater fish? Pellets only? Frozen food only? Home made recipes? Live food? Dry seaweed or frozen seaweed?

Now I am trying a mixture between mysis, brine, plankton, dry seaweed & cyclopeeze and thinking to add krill in the future.

Last edited:
I usually feed my fish a diet that consists of mostly dry food. NLS pellets, a couple different brands of spirulina flakes, prime reef flakes, earthworm flakes etc. Every now & then I'll feed the fish live blackworms and brine shrimp as well. Everybody looks good. (freshwater & saltwater)

I feed Spectrum pellets, hikari freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen mysis cubes, Formula 1 frozen concoction, and once a week fresh fish and/or clams. My approach is variety.
For the fresh stuff, I just take a raw piece of my kids food and chop it extremely finely, then pour it in small amounts in the empty frozen cube tray slots.
My fish have grown and are happy... but I have no herbivores at the moment.

I am thinking to keep them in frozen and live food. Every other week I buy some live brine, like a treat.
After so much money spent on frozen food, I am disappointed to see the low protein percentage. Maybe a home made recipe will do the trick.
I am thinking of tiger shrimp, fish (salmon/mackerel/snapper/grouper) clams/oysters, squid...

For plankton eaters like fire fish, basslets etc., I like to throw fish eggs into the mix. I've been using Reef Nutrition R.O.E. with good results. When you think about it, eggs have all the components of a living fish so you cover a lot of ground on the nutrition front. And they are of course high in beneficial fish oil.

In still water they will slowly sink making them easy to feed very small LPS polyps. But when fed in even a small current they stay suspended indefinitely making them easy for the fish to grab and they can get them all.

Interesting idea with fish eggs. Just plain fish eggs? From grocery store?
If yes, what about preservatives and all other chemicals that might contain?

I was referring to a specific product from the Reef Nutrition brand. There are others too. Its a food that needs fo be refrigerated and has an expirafion date. Some foods have fish eggs as part of the mix.

I would not use preserved eggs just in case. Leave them for the DIY sushi makers IMO.

I've actually tasted rods food. No joke. After my fish went nuts for it I just had to. Tastes like brocolli with rotten fish sauce. Not saying that is bad. Just perhaps that I am slightly eccentric when it comes to my tank.

Live black worms, pe mysis, live brine, cyclopeeze, and New Era Marine grazers and pellets. I just switched from nls pellets to the new era and its a great food brand. I would recommend giving it a shot as a replacement to your dry food its well worth the money. I think the best food for our fish is live black worms though. My fish have put on a healthy amount of weight and have never been healthier since I started feeding the blackworms a few months ago, thanks to paulb!

Have you tried making your own blender mush?

I was thinking to make my own, but I would like to keep the diversity of food.
I don't feed them the same food for 2 days. I am trying to see which one they like the most, and I see they are crazy about brine. Probably because this is the only food at LFS.
I manage to change the diet from brine to plankton and now I am trying krill.

I was referring to a specific product from the Reef Nutrition brand. There are others too. Its a food that needs fo be refrigerated and has an expirafion date. Some foods have fish eggs as part of the mix.

I would not use preserved eggs just in case. Leave them for the DIY sushi makers IMO.

I was looking for fish eggs at my LFS, with no luck.

I did not see my corals go crazy about reef-rods, but my fish do.

I've actually tasted rods food. No joke. After my fish went nuts for it I just had to. Tastes like brocolli with rotten fish sauce. Not saying that is bad. Just perhaps that I am slightly eccentric when it comes to my tank.

I do not know about brocolli, but they sure smell like fish.

I will also try some fine chopped mackerel. Strong smell & lots of fish oil. Don't see why they won't eat.

Nutrimar ova is fish eggs

How do your fish like the nutrimar? Ive been contemplating throwing it into the mix but havent pulled the trigger because I dont know anyone locally who uses it so I have zero peer reviews on it.

Back