Marine Velvet- Question

snake42490

I got a shipment of fish in and they all went to the QT tank. This is now day 4 of having them. I am 90% sure my Blue hippo has velvet because of the flashing and respiration rate increase along with not eating. It ate the first two days, but then stopped. My question is, I was doing the tank transfer method and wondered if I pulled the other fish out and put them in a different QT if they wouldn't have the parasite? I feel like the parasite hasn't been able to even go through it's first reproduction cycle.. I received fish on Tuesday and did first tank transfer on thursday. Would it even be possible for this parasite to have reproduced yet to infect the other fish. From my understanding it takes three days for the parasite to hatch

snake42490

I know how to treat velvet. I know it's deadly. What I am saying/asking. If I received this fish on Tuesday. Wouldn't it be physically impossible for the it to spread to the other fish by Friday (Today). The parasite wouldn't have been able to go through it's cycle to reinfect the other fish. I believe if I remove the healthy fish to a separate QT tank that they should be velvet free. Then I could treat the one fish in it's own QT tank.

Psionicdragon

I know how to treat velvet. I know it's deadly. What I am saying/asking. If I received this fish on Tuesday. Wouldn't it be physically impossible for the it to spread to the other fish by Friday (Today). The parasite wouldn't have been able to go through it's cycle to reinfect the other fish. I believe if I remove the healthy fish to a separate QT tank that they should be velvet free. Then I could treat the one fish in it's own QT tank.

True and I understood what you were asking. But the biggest question is: do you want to risk it?

Psionicdragon

Velvet is one of the fastest killers from experience. Its a lot worst than Ick. If I see any signs of velvet, everything gets nuked with copper.

snake42490

I have cupramine, but have just had awful luck with dosing it.. What would the the odds of it being brook vs velvet? What do you use to test your copper and how do you dose it? Full dose or do you ease into it

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
I've had fish with Velvet go from looking fine to dying the very next day. It's not impossible to treat, but IME you really have to move with a sense of urgency. So, once I see symptoms, I hit the infected fish with copper or CP ASAP. No waiting 3 days to slowly raise the copper level... it gets done now!

However, it should be noted that it can be extremely difficult to differentiate Ich from Velvet. You have to be looking at the fish at just the right angle and the light just right to see the small gold-colored dots (vs. white dots for Ich). Brook is this thick white mucus-looking stuff which covers the body, almost like skin peeling off.

It's imperative to make a correct diagnosis before beginning treatment, as Brook is medicated differently (with Formalin) than Ich or Velvet.

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
wow.. how fast will cupriume treat velvet. ??

Not fast enough IME. Snorvich has a nice blog entry about Velvet here. F/w dip and/or formalin bath might be your only hope for some immediate relief; although most fish become so weakened by the parasite that they can't usually tolerate either. Copper (or CP) comes next (if the fish makes it that long). IME, Velvet is almost always fatal unless caught early on (usually only if you happen to prophylactically treat.)

Chicago

time will tell... started with prozipro yesterday thinking it was flukes.. then realized velvet.. started copper today.. all got the bath a few hours ago.. freshwater for 4 minuites.

Chicago

IMG_3489.jpg

thoughts.. in freshwater bath

MrTuskfish

Team RC
time will tell... started with prozipro yesterday thinking it was flukes.. then realized velvet.. started copper today.. all got the bath a few hours ago.. freshwater for 4 minuites.

You'll get more help starting your own thread rather than digging up an old one.If you do add to an old thread, it would help if you stated so up front. I was half way through a response before I knew it wasn't needed. Other folks have said this too. Thanks!

MrTuskfish

Team RC
ok.. sorry for that.. was just doing the research on this thread and jumped on the bad wagon.

No problem, I may be the only member that doesn't look at dates first. When your own thread, with your own circumstances, you'll get a lot more help---I assume.