MARINECRITTERS Redsea Reefer 350

How is the Vertex Omega 130 working on your Reefer 350? Did you wish you went with the 150?

I am waiting on my Reefer 350 to arrive - I am running the Omega 130 on my current 50 gallon tank. I would love the extra sump space for a recirculating biopellet reactor.

And how much did you have to raise the skimmer? Instead of an acrylic stand I was thinking of using the 1 inch thick marinepure block.

Last edited:
How is the Vertex Omega 130 working on your Reefer 350? Did you wish you went with the 150?

I am waiting on my Reefer 350 to arrive - I am running the Omega 130 on my current 50 gallon tank. I would love the extra sump space for a recirculating biopellet reactor.

And how much did you have to raise the skimmer? Instead of an acrylic stand I was thinking of using the 1 inch thick marinepure block.

I would say go as big as possible with the skimmer. I would have used the 150 if the 130 was not on sale :)

I lifted the skimmer 1.5" but it still took a week or so for it to 'break in'

Update picture. I added a second MP40
IMG_6731_zpswy3v406x.jpg

Update: The tank is quickly approaching 2 years now and I want to share what's going on!
I have not seen any casualties in close to one year and all the corals are thriving. The most major setback I have faced is an infestation of acropora eating flatworms… It really sucked as I lost some of my most prized pieces: RR red diablo, a huge colony of acropora speciosa, a large colony of acropora turaki, a colony of garf bonsai, and a few other rare pieces.

After consistently dipping all of my surviving colonies, this is what my tank looks like roughly 1 year after the infestation
IMG_9373_zpseu8ta3a8.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favourite pieces, favia sp.
IMG_9363_zps02xfhrmu.jpg

IMG_9370_zpsen1r1yzh.jpg

IMG_9365_zpsnghieqxr.jpg

RR Strawberry Shortcake, an extremely slow-growing coral in my experience.
IMG_9367_zpssxm7sisr.jpg

IMG_9368_zpsvsk2tswe.jpg

IMG_9371_zpsjej9wct8.jpg

IMG_9374_zpsgg24bimf.jpg

Lastly, I have moved to a more simple filtration approach. I have found that simplicity is key to a stable reef tank and to achieve this I have removed a lot of the 'bulk' that used to be in my sump. Right now I am only running a skimmer, gfo reactor, and a couple marinepure blocks in the baffles of my sump.
IMG_9377_zpsl72qfnls.jpg

Last edited:
Update!
The tank has been up for almost three years now; I figured some new photos were due.
No new inhabitants have been added to the tank in the last year or so… I chose to let the few corals I have grow into a reef rather than stuffing a bunch of tiny frags together.
IMG_0264_zpsorrk7qt4.jpg

IMG_0266_zpsmjlez7in.jpg

IMG_0267_zpszechlxfa.jpg

Huge piece of war coral has grown in nicely
IMG_0268_zpsgzl5xd81.jpg

IMG_0269_zpslepxp5py.jpg

IMG_0270_zpsauunvkt2.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake acro has been encrusting rather then growing upward…
IMG_0271_zpsgbvcgemp.jpg

IMG_0272_zps2xwb88t7.jpg

IMG_0273_zpslximhepf.jpg

I am still maintaining a very simple filtration setup. Only a skimmer, filter socks, GFO reactor, and marine pure blocks are being used; I have found the more complex a system, the more likely things are to fail.
IMG_0274_zpsr7rdiwho.jpg

Back