MARS April Meeting - Steve Tyree!!!

Brian Prestwood

Premium Member
The hardest working guys and gal in reefkeeping, the MARS board...
Mike, Paul, John, Pete, Karen, Steve, Kevin, Doug & Brian are proud to announce that Steve Tyree will be presenting at the April 18th meeting!!!

Cudos to John Dakan at YourReef for facilitating this event!

The presentation will consist of a rare/LE corals (i.e. eye candy!) slide show with husbandry commentary and Q&A. Steve is going to forward his pre-sales list which we will be publishing shortly. We expect there will be multiple buyers for some of the items. We are going to come up with a way to make that fair. After his presentation Steve will pass out all the pre-sold corals. Steve is making the rounds in southern and northern CA for this event. We're expecting some really exciting offerings.

After that the MARS raffle will start. In addition to our normal chocked full of stuff raffle, we're going to have a special raffle for a complete starfire glass reeftank setup, a $1.2K value. Tickets for this raffle will be $5 each.

We're expecting a sold out crowd at this meeting. Paid MARS members will have priority seating. After that, paid members from all the other clubs in the area will be seated. Finally, the general public will be seated.

On Saturday, 4/19 MARS will be hosting a rare/LE auction. See the thread titled "MARS Rare/LE Auction - 4/19/2008" for event details.

Last edited:
The club is ON FIRE.... This is so much fun, I am really excited to have this event and want to give John at YR a big thumbs up for helping pull it off!

Im going. No questions asked. hey kevin want to carpool? Like i said in the other thread about the auction i am drooling at all the activities and events this club has to offer. amazing!

Joe

Oh I've been procrastinating making the 90+ mile trip down but this one might be it.... OH nope. :( I'll be in Reno for a professional society event.

I'm becomming a member and going to this meeting...
Is the tank setup the whole full setup or just the tank?

is it just me or does it seem wrong for steve to be selling a limited number of corals for profit. shouldn't he be supporting our club by donating the corals? he's already being paid to come speak. right? shouldn't everyone have equal opportunity to what he brings, (ie the raffle)? i personallly think this needs to be re-thought.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12222493#post12222493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gotfin
is it just me or does it seem wrong for steve to be selling a limited number of corals for profit. shouldn't he be supporting our club by donating the corals? he's already being paid to come speak. right? shouldn't everyone have equal opportunity to what he brings, (ie the raffle)? i personallly think this needs to be re-thought.

This is what Steve does for a living. He is already donating some corals for our normal raffle. The gate charge is going to MARS at the auction which helps us as well. Steve is a paid consultant so to speak, and he is booked for YEARS in advance. He isn't a MARS member so it seems unfair to "rethink" his coming because he is selling his corals. We are very fortunate to get him, and have him bring corals for this cool event. The raffle was our idea, not his. Most of his pieces have a wait list and we are getting to bypass that. We also asked John Dakan to come and bring corals for raffle as well. I personally don't think it is wrong that Steve sells stuff while he is here but that is only mt $.02

i think it's great that he's even willing to bring pieces with him. sure he's being "paid" to speak, but he's also probably going to be bringing coral that most of us would never even have the opportunity to purchase outside of an even such as this. i, for one, and very excited about him coming to speak, and am especially grateful that he's going to be taking the time and trouble involved to transport these truly rare and valuable corals to our event.

great guest booking, as usual. thanks guys!

Originally posted by gotfin

as if it wasnt hard enough for sacramentan reefers to shake off the 'cheapskate' label:rolleye1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12222493#post12222493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gotfin

This is a rare opertunity that we are very lucky to get.... Thanks Admin and John.
And an even bigger bonus that Steve is bringing hard to get and rare stuff that we can buy. He has no vested interest in our club, so to think that he should just donate to the raffle seems really off base. Perhaps you don't realize how much of a boost this speaker is for MARS.

Hey Guys

Gotfins is just looking out for the club. That's not a bad thing.

Most reefers aren't aware of what it has taken Steve and his peers to get to this point. I'm glad he can pay the bills and do what he loves. He's not getting rich off this.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12229210#post12229210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brian Prestwood
Most reefers aren't aware of what it has taken Steve and his peers to get to this point. I'm glad he can pay the bills and do what he loves. He's not getting rich off this.

To true. Steve is a great guy and if you spend any time with him you will learn that qucikly. It is really too bad that the hobby has blamed Steve for the ridiculous pricing and the name game. I am not going to debate this as he pioneered stony corals and their propagating. He niched a corner and I give Kudos to that.

My wife likes Orchids. I go to the local Orchid club with her. They've been playing the name and price game there for decades. I don't mind the name game but I'd like to see the scientfic names next to them.

I for one cannot afford a Tyree/YourReef auction, but am extremely excited that these pieces will be auctioned off to locals/MARS members. I'm excited because that means these rare pieces will start circulating locally, be seen at future frag swaps and be available at much more reasonable prices to other members from those that pick some up from the auction. This is very exciting for all in this area! As many have stated, Steve's corals have a very long wait list and we are getting a first hand shot at some high demand pieces. That is awesome.

Thanks again MARS BOD and John@YR.

Back