Ammonia 7.8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

I did a 80% water change tonight. Got everything down to:
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Is everything OK for a clean up crew now and a few frags?

6 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits
2 Astraea Turbo Snails
6 Nassarius Snails
1 Peppermint Shrimp

Not sure about quantity, what do you guys think for a 29 gallon?

photo1-1.jpg

Diatoms on the sand and all over the rocks.

Just a few tips for speeding up the cycle I've learned in the past week: Use Instant Ocean Bio-Spira. I was using Brightwell's Microbacter, but the IO really kicked the nitrogen cycle past the goal line. Really amazing product, and it's available at places like PetCo. Only caveat is to check the expiration date on the bottom of the bottle, you don't want a bottle thats been on the shelf for 6+ months.

^This will speed up the cycle if you're impatient like me :)

6 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits

2 Astraea Turbo Snails

6 Nassarius Snails

1 Peppermint Shrimp

Not sure about quantity, what do you guys think for a 29 gallon?

photo1-1.jpg

Diatoms on the sand and all over the rocks.

Seems like a pretty good amount. Less quantity the better. Don't want to overload with CUC and end up with dead ones. If you see you need to get more then just get a couple more later. That's what I'm doing. I'll be picking up a couple more hermits and another snail today.

1876dcdd-08a4-4c8b-85e0-db862099dd0c.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Picked a few things today.
4 Astraea Turbo Snails
6 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs
4 Cerith Snails
1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Frag of Pink Birdsnest
1 Frag of Red Cap
1 Frogspawn
1 Open Brain
1 Brain not sure the name of it
1 Duncan

Sorry for the crappy pictures, gotta get my camera charged up. I will post better pictures tomorrow.

Looking good. I'm coming back to the hobby after many years away. Still trying to work out equipment. I can't wait!

Better pictures.

P6137601.jpg

P6137608.jpg

P6137607.jpg

P6137600.jpg

Dunkan

P6137626.jpg

Frog Spawn

P6137625.jpg

Anyone know the name of this one?

P6137615.jpg

Anyone know the name of this one also?

P6137641.jpg

Red Cap

P6137650.jpg

Pink Birds Nest

Means subscribed. A lot of us have our forum preferences set to auto-subscribe to any posts that we post to, so that's what he was doing... in so many words. LOL

Great looking update Martin! The first ID I've got no idea, the 2nd looks like a "toxic green" acan of some type.

OK its been about 3 weeks from my last post. All the diatoms cleared up and I added a few new corals and will post pictures later.

Now I have a new problem. I am getting a green algae all over my rocks. I am also getting some kind on my sand.

My tank parameters have been the following:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0
Calcium between 480 - 500
Salinity 1.23
PH 8.2
Temperature 78
Running my LED's at 50% for 10 hours.

I can't seem to get my Nitrate below 20. I have done a partial water change twice for the past two weeks and that doesn't seem to help any. I guess this is what is causing the algae blooms. Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do here? Thought about dosing vodka to get the nitrates down but kinda would like to figure it out without that.

photo1-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

How much water are you changing? Your nitrates will spike a little bit after your CUC introduction. Good husbandry will keep your parameters in order. I change 5 gallons every week but I can easily go 2 weeks and my numbers will be ok. Good luck!

Subbing. I am enjoying the detail you have been putting into this thread of yours. It shows me what I have to look forward to.

I used to have a ton of marine aquariums and worked at a LFS when I was younger, but I have been out of the hobby for about 20 years. I am looking to get back into it now. The tech has changed so much, so I am starting with a biocube29 and very excited about it. 8)

I have been lurking around the various reef forums for a bit and this is definitely the one I like best and is always the most informative.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, Martin!

Back