Max capacity question

cschweitzer

How many tangs can you add to a 180G tank and have them be comfortable? I was thinking of 5 that I really wanted to put in there...is this too many? I would not be having many other fish at all, maybe a clown pair, a dragonette pair, and a few other small ones.

well i know its not your exact size, but the list on my signature is what i have in my 220. They get along great. All 6 tangs and a seabe clown and a mandarin. i am running two skimmers, because tangs being herb's really poop alot.

Yeah, I have an ASM G-5 that is rated for 700Gal, I just need to figure out how I can get it under(or on the side, plumbed in...maybe) to the system.

sounds good, i love tangs are you can see, they never stop and i love their personalities. what tangs were you looking at?

Ohhh...I've got a few in mind. Mainly, my dream list will be:

Atlantic Blue juv. tang(want to watch it change colors)
Chevron tang
Purple tang
Dussumier tang
Black tang(might be unrealistic and may be changed to the tang I have already, a lemonpeel mimic tang)

Yeah I have a black tang that i got from marcye. i love that fish. If you get a chance to get one, dont pass it up. They are unbelievable!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7566513#post7566513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cschweitzer
Yeah, I have an ASM G-5 that is rated for 700Gal, I just need to figure out how I can get it under(or on the side, plumbed in...maybe) to the system.

we saw that skimmer...what a monster!!!!

I have been told that you'll have better success if you introduce them together. I currently have a red sea tang and a yellow tang together in my 180 and if you don't mind Craig, I'd like to ask thor if he added his at different times, with the exception of the black tang. Due to some problems in my 90gal sps tank I'm considering moving a purple tang into the 180.

hey cootiebugg. All 5 of my tangs with the exception of the black tang were together for 2 yrs. I bought them all from Dallas(bluemarine) off this board. Hes also the guy that sold marcye her 300 gallon tank. Anyways they were all together along with two other yellow tangs that i didnt buy. The black tang has been with them for over 2 weeks. They get along great. may i ask what size is the purple in comparison to the red sea and yellow?

The sailfin is about 6" the purple is about 5" and the yellow is about 3" The purple has been in a 90 gal for about 2 1/2 yrs, the other 2 have been in a 180 a little over a year.

well in my experience you should be fine. The red sailfin might be a little rough on him at first, but not bad because they arent totally similar shaped tangs. The good news is your yellow who is a similar shaped tang is smaller. So the purple will be able to take the territoral bit for a little while. My best advice is to make sure and add him as soon as it gets dark to put him in. That way they have all night to get settled somewhat. This is just what i would do from the experiences i have been around. let us know what you decide. I think you will be fine. But just like us the fish have personalites and you never know. Good luck

I have a 220rr and 7 tangs. 2 yellow tangs, a chevron, one purple, a yellow scopas, one pacific blue and a powder blue. Most in the tank since October and the Chevron added about 3 months back. My large yellow tang is three years old now, the purple is going on two and the pacific was one in May. The others I added in October after going from a 72 bow to the 220rr.

Patrick

Hey keithntracey werent you the couple complaining of service at the store the other day!!!j/k. Cant wait to see your guys tank with TANGSSSS!!!!!!

Back