Maxi-Jet 1200

CrazyNovice

Is there any explanation as to why the Marineland Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead is $25. From what I can understand it has two modes, one that does 295 gph and one that does 1300 gph.. Which is a big jump. Pumps in the class of doing 1200 gph are somewhere from $70 to $300. This makes absolutely no sense at all. Either every single pump on the market is the biggest rip off ever, or something is skewed about the pump doing 1300 gph circulation. If it all adds up right and its just a great deal for a reliable pump why does anyone buy any other pump?

What are your opinions on this pump?

When used as a power head it's the high number, the lower number when facing resistance and used as a pump. I use the MJ 1200 in a GFO reactor on two of my tanks and have to replace the impeller every 9 to 12 months or so. Cheap and not too durable. Supposedly the Cobalt MJ pumps are better but couldn't tell you. BTW the impellers cost me around 15.00, so I buy several

It depends on how you have it set up. The MJ pumps come with several attachments, and you can use them as a propeller powerhead or a standard impeller pump. If you have it set up as a powerhead with the propeller attachment, it can move around 1300 gph. Leave it as a standard pump and it will move around 295 gph.

Years ago the MJ pumps lasted a long time for me when I did fresh water & vivarium applications. As I recall they were manufactured in Europe in those days.

But IMO the current generation are no good in salt water. Maybe OK for mixing salt water in a tub or as a cheap temporary back up pump. They don't last.

They have cheap cords too - I had one wear out or partially disconnect from the motor, unseeable from the outside, while mixing a tub of salt water. It tripped my breakers and made a horrible burnt plastic smell. This is how non GFCI people get killed and livestock gets wiped out.

Avoid them unless the higher quality variant is truly of a higher quality. The extra money you pay for an Eheim or other quality unit is well worth it on so many levels.

Currently I'm mostly looking for something to mix salt with. I have a 425 gph Hydor circulation pump in a half full 5g bucket of water and it can't seem to keep everything in there mixed up and it all just falls to a dead spot. Out of 1.5 cups I think it was that I added, it looks like there is almost a quarter of a cup sitting in the bottom, and stirring up the bottom it just settles again pretty quickly.

Years ago the MJ pumps lasted a long time for me when I did fresh water & vivarium applications. As I recall they were manufactured in Europe in those days.

But IMO the current generation are no good in salt water. Maybe OK for mixing salt water in a tub or as a cheap temporary back up pump. They don't last.

The original ones were made in Italy and are actually still being produced but under the Cobalt Aquatics Brand.

Back