Maxi-jet Mod

FishyBiz

So I put my new MJ mods in the tank and they are totally making me mad. :mad2:
I didnt install the acrylic "stop rod" to stop the prop from turning the wrong way because I didnt plan on having the mods turn on and off. I figured I would plug/unplug them untill they turned the right way and then leave them on forever.
Well after getting them to spin the right way after about 1 or 2 minutes they will just stop and go the wrong way. :mad2:
Why do they stop and change directions?

Something is out of balance or the prop is not as free spinning as it should be.

The stop rod will fix it if you get it installed in the correct location but will put a lot of wear on everything if it keeps hitting it.

SteveU

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9846336#post9846336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration
Something is out of balance or the prop is not as free spinning as it should be.

The stop rod will fix it if you get it installed in the correct location but will put a lot of wear on everything if it keeps hitting it.

SteveU

Thats impossible Steve. Everything I build is to spec with the up most precision. :lol:

Sometimes if you use too large of a prop, it will spin backwards, especially if you're modding a mj900 (because it doesn't have enough torque to spin it the right way).

I have had that issue trying to mod a mj900...no problem with a mj1200, however. I have heard of people shaving the prop to get it to spin the right way.

Airline for the stopper?
I havent put in the stoppers yet. To much other stuff on the tank to mess with and get going right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9853476#post9853476 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyBiz
Ive decided I hate my MJ's.

Hey FishyBiz,
I just picked up a Koralia 4 and all I can say is.....OMG. This thing pushes an insane amount of water. Supposedly 1200gph, but for sure it does better than my seio 820 and 1100. It's about the size of a Seio 1100, but with a smaller mount.

Rich

Update....

Update....

Well after buying 2 more Maxi 1200's (just for the impeller) and the carbon rod and new props from MJ Mods I've got everything to work. I'm happy with the flow they are putting out. I now have no sand in the corners of my tank. ;)

I also found out that almost every LFS sells the 1200 for almost $40!!!!
You can get them online for like $20. Man are they ripen us.

They all do, I buy most of my stuff on-line. I need to always try to save money in this hobby.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9854118#post9854118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rykwong
Hey FishyBiz,
I just picked up a Koralia 4 and all I can say is.....OMG. This thing pushes an insane amount of water. Supposedly 1200gph, but for sure it does better than my seio 820 and 1100. It's about the size of a Seio 1100, but with a smaller mount.

Rich

Any insight as to whether or not these would be OK for wavemakers?

It sure would be nice if they were engineered to be able to change RPM, as well. Someone needs to break into that market; spending close to 1000 bucks to get Vortech's or Tunze's is just plain insanity.

And I thought Radio Controlled Helicopters were expensive...

(Oh, wait: they are!)

I am having some noise issues with my modded mj 1200. I bought the magnet holders from mj mod as well and it seems like the most noise is coming from them.

anyone else have this issue? Its a loud vibrating sound which comes and goes every few minutes. I dont think its spinning backwards since the mod still seems to be pushing water.

Back