Maxi Mini Carpet Anenome Question

nudifun

Ok, I bought my first Maxi Mini last night from my LFS. I drip acclimated it for a long while (over an hour) and then released it into my tank. I situated him where I wanted and then came back a half hour later to check on him. He was in the same spot and had attached himself to the rock. I was pleased with this so I went to bed.

The next morning I woke up to discover that the Anenome had detached from the rock and had floated a few inches away from his spot and was just kinda of hovering over the sand sideways. By that I mean his foot was not attached to anything and his backside was not touching anything at all. his side was touching the sand but that was it. It looks like the current pushed him away from where I left him, because he has not moved that far and he doesn't appear to be moving any place in particular. This makes me think there is something wrong with him.

Am I right to worry or should I give it more time? I know that they move on there own to find a place they like but like I said this did not seem to be the action of a creature in search of a new home. More of a movement by a sick/injured creature. Maybe I am not giving him enough time? I just do not know the signs to look for in a sick or injured Anenome besides the obvious signs of damage. Which it doesn't have. His color looks great and I cannot see any visible damage.

Can someone please give me some advice?

THANKS!

cichlidconvert

Something isn't right. I've never had a maxi mini detach let alone stay detached. But without visible damage I don't know why. I would closely check the foot for tears in it.

nudifun

when I first put him in and checked a few minutes later he was attached to the rock. I tried moving him a bit but i we solid on the rock. So i think his foot works. but he mayu be damaged still i just don't know the guy at the LFS had a hard time getting him off the wall in the tank at the store. i watched hima nd he was quite gentle rubbing his foot until he detached. it took 20 minutes and he still would not move. So the guy took a credit card and slide it under his foot and that worked apparently but I don't feel that great about it. he said i could return it if there is a problem but He really pretty so I'm just hoping its all good.

garygb

Pics? That species is very hardy. In fact, they can be manually divided and survive. At the same time, something doesn't sound right. Your tank specs and pics could be useful.

GroktheCube

With my maxi-minis I've generally kept PHs off (return pump only) for a good 45 minutes to make sure they could comfortably attach, but I've never had one let go.

nudifun

The Anenome seems to be fine besides the fact that he wont attach. his color is normal and he looks healthy. i am not sure what is foot area or backside is supposed to look like but it does not look that great. Maybe its what it is supposed to look like but I do not know. I will get a picture of it tonight. could someone explain or post a picture of what it should look like, until i get a picture posted on her tonight?

nudifun

Ok here is the best picture i could get of his foot/backside without man handling the little guy too much. Not sure what to look for. Can anyone see anything "afoot"?.....

*the white particles there are sand stuck to his stickiness.

Attachments

• IMG_20131110_120457.jpg
    IMG_20131110_120457.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0

garygb

Thanks for the pics. I can't really tell if there is damage or not. Hopefully it will attach soon. I have 4 that I've had for years. When I got them I gently applied pressure to the top of the anemone pressing it against the rock I wanted it to attach to. That worked for me, similar to the way one attaches a mushroom polyp, if you've ever done that before. Just gentle pressure and hold it maybe 5 minutes.

nudifun

Thanks for the pics. I can't really tell if there is damage or not. Hopefully it will attach soon. I have 4 that I've had for years. When I got them I gently applied pressure to the top of the anemone pressing it against the rock I wanted it to attach to. That worked for me, similar to the way one attaches a mushroom polyp, if you've ever done that before. Just gentle pressure and hold it maybe 5 minutes.

That did not work for me. I tried pushing him onto rocks, the glass, etc., nothing works. He just floats around aimlessly. sometimes I will catch him stuck to a rock, but it is not a solid connection. It's like he only has use of a part of his foot. The rest of the foot is unable to hold a connection. So even though i find him connected to a rock, the slightest pressure pulling against him lifts him off of said rock.

pittscoral

just let it go it will find a spot, have about 20 of them and they all found their own spots. it’s nice when they get on the glass you can cut them. just make sure that it can’t get sucked up into anything

nudifun

What do you mean "cut them"? You don't think I should return him? I mean its been five days and he still is not attached to anything....

pittscoral

is the foot messed up at all does it look like it’s on its way out, the pic looks like it’s just hasn’t found a spot yet. is it sticky at all or just slimy?

nudifun

is the foot messed up at all does it look like it's on its way out, the pic looks like it's just hasn't found a spot yet. is it sticky at all or just slimy?

I don't know what to look for, Not sure what a normal foot is supposed to look like. Its pretty ugly back there to begin with, it looks like an open wound. The guy at LFS said it looked normal to him. I can possible try to take a better photo, but I really need a picture of a normal foot to compare it too. I know that there is some white residue or object/tissue on some areas on his foot. I just don't know what it is or if its normal. If any one has such a photo or could take a pic of an anemone stuck to the glass, that would allow us to see his foot working.
It is sticky, it nems (front) stick to everything. He could be turning a bit dull color wise since I brought him home, but its very slight and I cannot tell if he is actually getting duller of if I'm making that up in my head....he is green and purple, but his green maybe turning a bit dull or brownish, not sure though. He is slimy as well, but definitely sticky.

nudifun

by cut i mean split them.

Wow, how do you do that? like where do you cut, what do you use to cut it? Hell, can you summarize the process a bit? Never heard of that, its interesting. I knew that they were hardy, but that brings a new meaning to the word....

nudifun

One more thing about the Anemone. He has not really expanded since I took him home. he is in his shriveled up mode. So basically is whole body is close to the same diameter as his foot. ( I should learn the body parts of an anemone....) I never see him move either. jeez, i she dead? and I just haven't figured it out yet? What does a dead or dying Maxi Mini look like?

garygb

If his foot looks "messed up" and the guy at the lfs is willing to exchange it, then why not. It is definitely not normal to take 5 days to attach. I would suspect something is wrong with the foot. They attach very firmly and so they likely damaged the foot when removing it.

Yes, this species is known to be successfully manually divided. You definitely only want to do that with a healthy specimen.

nudifun

If his foot looks "messed up" and the guy at the lfs is willing to exchange it, then why not. It is definitely not normal to take 5 days to attach. I would suspect something is wrong with the foot. They attach very firmly and so they likely damaged the foot when removing it.

Yes, this species is known to be successfully manually divided. You definitely only want to do that with a healthy specimen.

Oh, most definitely. i was just curious on how the dividing was done. I'm not planning it with this guy. Just wanted to know how.