Maxima 24" from 175W MH?

rmendis

Premium Member
Fellow Reefers,

Would it be okay to keep a Maxima about 24" under a 175W 10K SE pendant? I have a 35gal hex. Is this sufficient light intensity?

Thanks!

24" is a lot for a 175 MH to penitrate in my opinion. I would place the maxima up in your rock work, closier to your lights.

I have had maximas about 12-15" from a 175 before. YMMV however. I upgraded before I could notice any long term detrimental effects.

Jamie

Is it possible?

YES

Would it be happier under a 250 or 400w?

YES

Is the 175 the right thing to do?

PROBABLY NOT...

I know that keeping a clam is a gorgeous thing, it's exciting, and they are fascinating creatures.. But simply put, if you don't have the requirements, then don't even bother... Why would you want to even worry, when you could simply wait a little to get better lighting or whatever the case is, and have a happy, healthy, beautiful clam....

Keeping a clam under that lighting can be done, but it will definetly not do good in the long run...

Pop a 400watter on that, and let's talk....:D

you will be fine..i think..
just place your clam in the top of your tank.......

p.s.lebowski: is your tear drop doing ok? post some pics..

Oh yeah.. forgot to mention.. if you put it higher in the tank it would be fine.... Stupid me:p

Moga, my teardrop is doing awesome! I have updated shots of the tank and the teardrop on my site, and a updated shot of the tear in my gallery...

www.simplereefs.cjb.net

Cheers.

Very encouraging - thanks, smokinreefer!!
I wonder if anyone else has successfully kept Maximas 24" under 175W MH?

what k is your 175W MH?
cuz if i remember correctly, a 150W 6500k MH is comparable to a 250W 10,000k MH.

so if your 175W MH is 10,000k or higher, its par is going to be substantially less than a 150W 6500k.

HTH

oops nevermind, i see you have a 10,000k...
you can always try the max on the sand, and move it upto the rockwork if it isnt getting enough light...

or you can try a lower light clam first, like a derasa, or even a squamosa.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

smokinreefer: Good point - the 10K is definitely lower PAR. I will probably put a Maxima higher up on the rockwork, around 12" away from the light, and try a Squamosa on the sandbed, around 24".

I keep my clams @ about 14 inches, AT 20 inches they didn't open fully.

As for the 150watt HQI, the output on those is like 250mh NON-HQI

Tagging along this thread.......would a 150HQI(since 150HQI equals 250nonHQI) be fine to place maxima 22in. from light on sand bed?

i've had a couple croceas (next to each other) about 24" from my 175 MH 10K and 1 died one day. i immediately moved the other one to the top part of my tank. the other one is still doing good til this day.

Two eye hooter said:
i've had a couple croceas (next to each other) about 24" from my 175 MH 10K and 1 died one day. i immediately moved the other one to the top part of my tank. the other one is still doing good til this day.
How long have you had the other crocea in your tank?
Your sig says you have a 250W MH, did you upgrade?

yeah, im selling off my old tank. so i took over my brother's smaller 40G tank which had a 250w MH. i've had the crocea for about 2 months before it died (im sure due to lack of lighting because their color was not as vibrant). it seemed happier when it was on top. the other one is doing fine and its been about 8 months now that i had him.

I have a max and a crocea on the sand in my 58 gallon tank. They are probably about 24" from my lights. I have a single 175 watt 10k and 2 - 36" VHO's (1 daylight and 1 actinic)
My clams couldn't be happier.
I think you will be ok.

Back