Maxima and a Melanurus Wrasse

JustinM

Hi,

My LFS has so nice looking maximas in, the only downfall is that are around 2 inches a piece. I read a couple stories of people having their Melanurus flip smaller maximas and eating the foot, just wondering how true that is? And one more question, if the Melanurus isn't a problem, how would a maxima do under a 250w DE phoenix on the sand bed(it would be on a rock, just on the sand bed) under 24" of water? Thanks for the help.

I suspect my melanurus (since moved) took out the foot of my crocea. I know for a fact that he was nipping at my derasa, which I moved to another tank.

Dang, that's 2-0 now. I do have a frag tank I could put one in I guess if I decide to get one.

My melanurus is too much of a good addition to have to take him out even though he goes after hermits and bites nassarius snails' trunks when they're sticking out of the sand. I have a pretty good feeling he may like clam feet and mantle too.

I have a small maxima 2.5" and a melanarus. I have not noticed any issues yet with the clam since I purchased it about a month ago. It is in the sand with a 250 phoenix 24" just like yours. I will say that 2 of my peppermint shrimp mysteriously disappeared along with some of my snails, and I suspect the wrasse.

Yeah I am definitely having some small inverts disappear. Some of my nassarius snails no longer have trunks and I keep seeing empty hermit crab shells. Thanks sullyfish.

Once he gets the taste for your cuc he will go through most/all of them as he gets bigger. Loved mine, but eventually took out my cleaners and that was the last straw. Also, my algae outbreak is back under control with being able to keep snails...

Still have a Melanurus at my office tank, I keep a very close eye on him.

i have had a melanaurus now for about 3 years, atleast, and he's been a model citizen with my clams. he might pick at the shell, like something is on it. the downside is that i know for a fact he ate my peppermint shrimps last year, and i'm sure he's gotten ahold of my crabs. but, the advantage of him eating every last flatworm has far outweighed him eating a few cheapo crabs.

Yeah I have a pistol shrimp that pops at him whenever he gets too close. He is worth it in my opinion, for the FW eating, and I can spare a hermit crab or 2 here and there. I will probably pick a maxima up the following weekend, LFS has 30% off all inverts that weekend. If he starts picking at the mantle or anything, I will just throw it in my frag tank.

Back