maximum nitrates for zoas

i'm embarassed to admit it, but my zoas pulled through some high nitrates in the past. much higher than 10. they are pretty tough...

Mine have survived and thrived in nitrates of 20ppm. Some did start to brown on me though. I have since brought them down and everything colored back up.

I am at around 25ppm now on the nitrates. It came down some from the water change last night. Gonna add some cheato tonight and also do another water change. I'll get it lower here pretty soon. They look to be doing very well though. No signs of any problems.

Don't take this as me recomending you not try to keep your nitrates low.

But most zoanthids arn't picky about nitrates. I've seen plenty of times Zoanthids growing fine in tanks with where the nitrates are allways well over 200ppm.

I've had my nitrates up around 20ppm before. It didn't effect any of my zoa's or palys. I wouldn't recommend keeping them that high but they should be fine if it's for a short amount of time.

I can say that I don't know anyone who REALLY has " 0 " amounts in their tank for nitrites/nitrates/ammonia...

people feed their tanks and not everything gets consumed, you also have things that die there as well so... I personally don't think a lot of folks can really attest to their tanks being virtually " 0" amount tanks...

mine does have nitrates but scheduled water changes help alleviate that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9900777#post9900777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
I can say that I don't know anyone who REALLY has " 0 " amounts in their tank for nitrites/nitrates/ammonia...

people feed their tanks and not everything gets consumed, you also have things that die there as well so... I personally don't think a lot of folks can really attest to their tanks being virtually " 0" amount tanks...

mine does have nitrates but scheduled water changes help alleviate that.

yeah true, but i think they were just referring to their test kits which say "0" because the nitrates are so low that they are undetectable by that test kit.

Back