Maxspect Gyre, Jebao RW, or Vortech MP for 8' peninsula tank?

rishu_pepper

In the initial planning stages of a 8' peninsula tank, and wondering which way I should go for flow.

Mostly will be LPS, softies, but may try SPS in the future.

Dimensions are 96"x18"x20" (not confirmed but should be along these lines), peninsula style, and I only want the flow to come from the overflow side.

That said, which option do you think I should go with?

a) one Maxspect Gyre XF150
b) two Jebao RW-15
c) one Jebao RW-20
d) two MP40
e) one Maxspect Gyre XF170 (when it come out?)
f) others?

Have heard so much good things about the Gyre, but even so I'm not sure if the XF150 is enough for a 8 footer, which is why I have the option of holding out until the release of the XF170. The others are more tried and true, with the Jebaos being a good money saver.

Currently have not set my mind upon anything, so your comments/advice/experience are welcome :)

That is a long narrow tank. To be honest, I don't think any of your options will work effectively. Expecting any of those pump setups to cover an 8 foot long tank is not really feasible, especially wanting flow to come from only one side. Maybe a pair of MP60s would go that far, but I'm not sure.

If your goal is to keep powerheads on the overflow side as to keep it looking "clean" with no powerheads on viewing panels, I would seriously consider a closed loop system. This way you aren't relying solely on one or two powerheads to provide flow 8 feet away without dead spots which is a pretty tall order. With a closed loop, you can have multiple origins of flow going different directions the entire length of the tank, hide the outlets with rockwork and you always have the option of adding something like an Ocean Motions to get random, changing flow.

That said, an 8 foot tank only 18 inches wide...I would not want the job of rock-scaping that.

1 Gyre will leave one end of the tank stagnant compared to the middle but that maybe ok depending on coral placement. 2 Gyres will be more than enough or maybe one 150 and one 130 which is what I plan to add to my 6 footer.

Last edited:
The 18" narrowness is simply because of room issues. I guess I can go 20", but the wife has made it explicitly clear that 24" is not an option.

I can have it designed as a closed loop. Is the plumbing going to be much more difficult?

Perhaps adding a MP40 on the glass end and use a Gyre or RW20 on the overflow end? I would want to stick with MP on the glass end because it looks much cleaner than having wires sticking out.

Thank you for the comments so far.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation with 96X24X25 tank I'm about to setup. I'm so on the fence but I'm leaning towards a gyre 150 on one end and another on the other end or a Mp60 and a gyre 150.

I'm in a similar situation with 96X24X25 tank I'm about to setup. I'm so on the fence but I'm leaning towards a gyre 150 on one end and another on the other end or a Mp60 and a gyre 150.

Yeah I'm thinking of the second option too, MP60 on the glass end and Gyre on the overflow. At least the MP is less conspicuous.

I have an 8'x2'x2' tank using 2 of the gyre 150s, one on each end. No way will a single one provide adequate flow across the entire length of the tank.

This tank ran 4 mp40s at a time to create a gyre that covered the entire tank. 8 mp40s total in 15 or so minute cycle (which way it spins the tank).

I spin a 360g with one mp40. It all depends on what you are keeping, how much flow you need, and most importantly how you setup the rock.

RIP Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncfi4hgnM0

I highly doubt that a gyre would leave the end stagnant. I have a 180G 6 foot tank and there is plenty of flow at the far end. With a skinnier tank that flow will continue very strong until the end. Look at the videos and see how much the water rises on the top far side of the tank it's visible how good the flow is.

Placing two gyres on opposite ends gives much different results than just a single one. For best flow One gyre and a few smaller powerheads on the opposite end near the bottom.

I've heard that the RW-20 pushes a LOT of water. Perhaps two of them on the overflow end will do the job? Really not a fan of putting a powerhead on the glass end.

I think you might have the right idea with the two rw20's. I have one on each end of my tank that's 96"l x24"w x30"h and they move LOTS of water! Considering your tank is 6" narrower and 10" shallower, and that you're looking at doing LPS where you don't need a strong moving current just decent flow, I think these will provide the right flow when positioned and set correctly. Are you planning on putting a canopy on top of the tank to conceal the top and lights? If so, this would also give you the option of running some clear plumbing over the top of the tank to allow your return to enter at the opposite side. Or even just to run a dedicated pump for additional flow at the far end. So many options and ideas, what's a guy to do!?

I think you might have the right idea with the two rw20's. I have one on each end of my tank that's 96"l x24"w x30"h and they move LOTS of water! Considering your tank is 6" narrower and 10" shallower, and that you're looking at doing LPS where you don't need a strong moving current just decent flow, I think these will provide the right flow when positioned and set correctly. Are you planning on putting a canopy on top of the tank to conceal the top and lights? If so, this would also give you the option of running some clear plumbing over the top of the tank to allow your return to enter at the opposite side. Or even just to run a dedicated pump for additional flow at the far end. So many options and ideas, what's a guy to do!?

Good to hear some personal experience with the RW20. Do you grow SPS and need the high flow? How are your corals and tankmates doing in general?

At the moment I think this will be my solution. When I mount them, should I just have both on the overflow side pointing straight at the opposite end, or should the two be pointing up/down/towards glass/towards mid/separately? What kind of wave pattern should I be looking for?

I know much of these will depend on my aquascape and what corals I keep, so there are many variables. Just want to have a general idea of what people like to do and has been successful :)

I have a wp60on one end of my 11' tank. On wave mode it reaches the other side no problem.
If you want to stay cheap, then do 2 of the RP20.
Trust me it'll be plenty on an 8' tank that narrow and that shallow

I can tell you that 2 RW-15's on my 6ft tanks is plenty of flow for any type of coral. I have one on each end and they replaced 3 MP-40's and outperform them. The only thing that the Mp-40's do better is lower power random flow. The RW's in ELSE mode (random) are essentially at max power and too much flow for a 6ft tank with any type of sand bed. 2 RW-15 can easily create a wave and splash water out of my tank...something my synched MP-40's could never do. I have seen RW-20's on my friends 96" 280g and they are a crazy amount of flow, especially for LPS or soft corals. I would be tempted to try the gyre over the options you listed.

On a side note...who made your tank? A 96" x 18" x 24" peninsula is my dream tank! Or maybe even 120" x 18" x 24". A great room divider!

Yeah I would mount both of the rw20s on the overflow and point them straight across to begin with and then adjust from there as you see your flow pattern. What's nice with the jebaos is the adjustability with both the strength of flow(gph) and the flow pattern. You'll just have to see what works best for your set up. I run mine synced together and in alternating mode at about half power. Everything in my tank is loving the water flow I have. Another nice thing with the RW series is the night mode sensor actually works! When activated it drops the pumps down to a constant flow at lowest power.

Back