Megaflow Overflow kit Way too Pricey??

asonitez

Floodicus Maximus Flooris
Ok,
There are a few things I have come to expect in this hobby. Corals will be expensive, fish will be expensive, and my biggest decisions in reefkeeping life will be what lighting to have, and is my skimmer big enough. I just purchased a Used 125 Gallon RR tank and I am about to plumb it. Obviously I want it to be quiet so I decided to start shopping around for some plumbing etc. I know Megaflow makes a good overflow kit that includes the Bulkheads and everything. I just priced one out on Ebay. 75.00 + 11.50 Shipping for ONE KIT. 86 Dollars for 15 dollars in PVC is a little pricey for me. Do many of you build your own overflow stuff?

I have never bought an overflow kit. But on average plumbing runs most tanks anywhere from $80-$200( Bulkheads, unions, ball valves are most expensive) depending on what pieces you go with and how elaborate you go with it.

The megaflow kit only includes plumbing within the built-in overflow, so it doesn't include the parts referenced in the post above (minus the bulkhead).

Like you mentioned, piece it together yourself for much less $$$. The only thing special about the kit is that it comes with an adjustable drain pipe that you may not be able to find at your local parts store. But if you know the height you need, just cut the exact height you need... set it and forget it.

I'm in this same boat too with my 240g RR tank. So would it be better to just buy the pieces from the LFS or go to a hardware store like Home Depot to get them? Could the return plumbing in the overflow box just be tubing that runs from the botton bulk head to the return pipe that's on the side of the overflow box?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15626208#post15626208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean A.
I'm in this same boat too with my 240g RR tank. So would it be better to just buy the pieces from the LFS or go to a hardware store like Home Depot to get them? Could the return plumbing in the overflow box just be tubing that runs from the botton bulk head to the return pipe that's on the side of the overflow box?

If your LFS carries the parts, you can support them if the price isn't too much more than HD. Only thing with HD is that you will have to buy a lot more than you need. I think they sell the pvc pipes in +6ft pieces. I had to cut them in half to fit in the car.

I actually used both holes in the overflow as drains. One as a primary and the other as an emergency backup. I plumbed the return over the back of the tank. You could also plumb it the way you mentioned.

With the Megaflow kit you are also buying convenience. You don't really have to cut anything except your return pipe. And they give you templates for the standard size tanks. They are really easy to install. The most expensive thing in the kit is probably the bulkheads, and maybe the locline.

heh. I swear the cheap metal bulkhead wrench alone is almost worth the price (having had to install bulkheads, under a tank with adjustable wrenchs before).

You should be able to find it for around $50. In my opinion, completely worth it. I'm all for DIY, but replicating a Durso with PVC myself is not really worth it, in my opinion. If you get the parts yourself, you'll probably save $20-30. Up to you, if that's worth it.

durso all the way. you can get everything-hoses,bulkheads,loc line, nozzles for loc line, pipe for return & overflow. all for less than price for 1 megaflow kit. if you have ever done any plumbing with pvc, you can save. durso has complete instructions for overflow, with all pipe sizes & fittings on the website
lowes & the web is all you need for parts

I bought my bulkheads from my LFS and am going to do build my return and standpipe with PVC. I bought 1 1/2 inch drain and 1 inch return. Now to questions

1- what kind of glue can I use to seal the PVC pieces together? Can i just use regular PVC glue that they sell at HD?

2- Not sure if my LFS sold me the rite return bulkhead. I asked for 1 inch return with slip. Got it installed bought 1 inch PVC for it and PVC was to big. I had to get 3/4 inch PVC to fit into the Slip for the return. IS that suppose to be like that? Or did my LFS sell me 3/4 inch return Bulkhead?

1: Normal pvc glue is fine. I dont ussually glue my stand pip at all so I can take it out and clean it if nessesary.

2: Sounds like a 3/4 bulkhead to me.

The only things that made the megaflow kit worth while was the snail guard for the drain pipe and the locline on the return. Everything else could be purchased easily at your hardware store. I'm sure you can get those other parts online.

locline is pipe usually black in tanks, that is made up of links.
you can turn or bend pipe where each link connects to next. you can get various pipe sizes & fittings. when put together it is both ridged & flexable at the same time. making it easy to create lots of combo`s for your return outlet.

Ok now here is where I have my problem. There is a hole on the side of
my Overflow box that my return is suppose to go out of. I have my
3/4 inch pipe that runs up from the bulkhead to a 90 degree elbow.
But the elbow can slide in & out of the hole with a gap all the way around
it. Will the Lockline seal that hole or do I need another threaded
Bulkhead placed there too so that it can connect to elbow? Not sure
What to do.

Back